Raleigh Trent Sports circa 1958

averagebiker

Retro Guru
Please retro bike, save me from myself........

Hi all,

I mostly ride on the roads and towpaths these days but am a mountain biker at heart. I am meant to be getting rid of bikes not getting more but.......

On a trip to the tip today to offload some household junk a 3 speed Trent Sports caught my eye. I resisted, what do I need a 50s bike for after all? But it keeps nagging away at me and I think if I could get it cheap it might be a fun project???

Knowing nothing about bikes of this era what are the pitfalls? It looked complete but in need of new tyres and a bloody good clean and service? Would any particular parts be expensive and/or difficult to replace? What can you do to stop me from falling for it, and going back to get it.

Cheers Rich

Knowing nothing about bikes of this era what are the pitfalls? It looked complete but in need of new tyres and a bloody good clean and service? Would any particular parts be expensive and/or difficult to replace?

No particular pitfalls unless you're looking to make it period-correct. Almost everything up to the 1990s will fit as everything is basically the same fitment and size.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear!

I guess I will let fate decide if we are destined to be together. I have to go to the tip again soon, if it hasn't been adopted by someone else before then I will bring it home!

If the wheels are straight enough get a pair of tyres and tubes 26 x 1 3/8.
oil down the brake cables, if they work just apply oil to the bearings before taking apart, and see how it rides.
The head and bracket bearings are threaded 26 tpi so have not been made for around 50 years. If these are in good condition they may be worth more than the bike/

Keith

These pieces of history can be very enjoyable, useable artefacts!

I rode a friend's Super Lenton (531 throughout) back to back with a late 90s Mercian and was deeply impressed by its ride, the quality of build shone through. The Mercian felt fairly meh, a bit fussy by comparison.

On the back of that ride, I found a scruffy-paint late 40s RRA for sensible money which the vendor had used as a parts donor for his immaculate one, only the original mudguards, frame and forks are left of the original. The parts had been replaced with Lenton ones and a decent 80s 27x1¼ wheelset (complete with 4sp FW gear hub) so it looks right. Said friend kindly collected it for me and reckoned it was in a different league from his SL, it is a magnificent ride.

I think the older the Raleigh, the better - I'm told pre-WW1 models are the ones to have!

Well I went back, the bike was still there. The tip attendant was grumpy and wanted a firm £50 for it which I though was too much given the work it needed so I decided to pass.

Last edited:
Back