Raleigh ID

With that decal style it's a mid 90s I think, randonneur, touriste or something along those lines. I had a 97 randonneur that catalogue is online.

1991/2 Raleigh Touriste? Or Royal but they went 708 tubing

Heres my 1989 version

img_20210624_100951-jpg.551364

Last edited:
I've identified if from the unusual Raleigh word mark as a 1987 Royal, their TOTL lightweight tourer with 531sl tube and Shimano gears.
Its in a house clearance auction and looks in great condition and only estimated at 30-50 but unfortunately a small size so go good for me.

I've identified if from the unusual Raleigh word mark as a 1987 Royal, their TOTL lightweight tourer with 531sl tube and Shimano gears.
Its in a house clearance auction and looks in great condition and only estimated at 30-50 but unfortunately a small size so go good for me.
Are you sure it is small? It looks like a circa 23" frame to me. Of course you may be taller than me and need a properly big frame 😁

Are you sure it is small? It looks like a circa 23" frame to me. Of course you may be taller than me and need a properly big frame 😁
I was thinking the same about 23, I'd take small as 19 or 20 for a steel frame, either way they're a very nice tourer.

It seems to be a mash up of two models - my Touriste - it shares the same budget (Weinmann/ Exage) wheels, headset, stem and possibly an Exage Trail chainset and 105 6spd shifter - which would place it around 1988 89

but then also off a later model with what looks like a 'Raleigh Special Products Division' decal on the seat tube and the later 1990's Raleigh decal (the same as my 708 Royal) and a better grade of 531 tubeset (the Touriste is simply double butted)

My 1996 Royal with its 708 tubing (which was irritatingly one size too small at 57cm!)

royal1-jpg.479276

1635868428377-png.580867

img_20210624_100951-jpg.551364

Last edited:
Good catch

However the royal was mid range with the randoneer and routier above and below.

Much like a Dawes galaxy with ultra galaxy above and horizon below.

531 being the essential ingredient.

Cheers James

sold for £20 at auction but decided to give it a miss as I’m 6 ft although I could gave probably sold it on eBay for 150. I think I found the 1987 brochure attached…

Attachments

• 1987raleighcat_uk_11_lg.pdf
    324.9 KB · Views: 11
Not seen that catalog before and totally forgot those decals from that year! Blimey! <bangs head>

So, seeing those bits I would carefully hazard a guess that its a model very similar to the Touriste from around 1988 and whoever got it for £20 has got a good starting point for a nice bicycle

Good catch

However the royal was mid range with the randoneer and routier above and below.

Much like a Dawes galaxy with ultra galaxy above and horizon below.

531 being the essential ingredient.

Cheers James

The Royal and the Randonnuer shared the same 708 frame and earlier 531 ST frames. Equipment level was different but both had the spoke holders

*but just for arguments' sake its states 'Shimano' vertical dropouts for the Randonneur and vertical for the Royal 531 ST frames

Oooh I can imagine the arguments down the pub! Beards will be wagging! (especially mine as I'm sure my Royal had Shimano on the dropouts!

I dont think the Routier ever had cantilever brakes - I also think it was waaaay down the food chain.

<scans that internet>

And now I've seen one, its the first bike I ever restored! For a mate, all the way back in 1990!

The Dawes Horizon was 501 btw - had one of those too

Last edited:
Back