Raleigh competition 12 531c sloping crown forks

Ascari49

Dirt Disciple
Lovely Raleigh competition 12.... This bike rides with silky smoothness!

I bought this with the intention of doing L'Eroica two years ago but I was always working on the weekends it ran. This year of course it's not running. So this is not getting the use I intended.

The frame is 22.5" in 531c double butted throughout and has a nice patina as you would expect for a 35 year old bike... It has some localised surface corrosion and the usual scuffs from storage... Personally I like it...I did think of stripping it for a repaint but this would spoil the originality. It has the shot through seat stays and beautiful Chrome 531 sloping crown forks. I can't emphasize enough the magic carpet ride you get on this quality frame. It responds brilliantly when you give it some gas too showing it's competition traits by leaping forward when you stand on the pedals.

The bike has been built with a Shimano 600 groupset (later became Ultegra) the braze on levers snick the gears through beautifully and the brakes are powerful for the period. The wheels are Rigida with Shimano hubs... They run smooth and are barely worn.

All in all this is a lovely bike with a lively but very comfortable ride. I changed the rear cassette to a new 11-28 as I live in Derbyshire, it climbs very well the cassette and chain set are again barely worn.

I did the 70 mile tour of Retford sportive last year and it was faultless,v easily keeping pace with two friends on modern carbon bikes.

This bike is ready to ride and it's a stunner! Sadly I'm probably not going to do L'EROICA in the future as I work lots of weekends or have my children when I'm not working.

I've toyed with selling it before but then gone for a spin and thought, no, I just can't do it!

I'd like £300 and I'm not really wanting to drop from that as I've become quite attached to it.... Can't seem to attach photos but happy to e mail them over.

Back