Raleigh Clubman 12

Ciclista59

Dirt Disciple
I’m hoping that someone in Retro Bike land will be able to help me with a valuation. My neighbour is helping a family friend clear her garage. Her husband passed away in his early 80s and was a very keen cyclist.
He had this nice and original Raleigh Clubman 12 from new and made only a few minor changes from the original specification. The pedals are now Shimano clipped but one of the toe cages has broken. The saddle is a very nice Brooks B17 narrow and the bars have been changed to Cinelli from the original Raleigh Italienne. It’s a 23½” frame with 27” wheels. I’m 6’4” so it’s unfortunately too small for me.
The bike appears in the 1983 Raleigh catalogue and is the Campagnolo 980 equipped version. Tidy Reynolds 531 frame for a 37-year-old bike. The owner’s widow would prefer it to go to a good home and to someone that would really appreciate a bike like this and sort of keep her husband’s memory alive. The LBS offered her £50 and another shop told her to take it to the dump as “no one’s interested in old bikes”! I see that the Brooks saddle go for £50+ on eBay!
There are a few Clubman 12s on eBay but I hope someone can help me on the forum with a realistic valuation.

Attachments

• Bike 6.jpg
    Bike 6.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 266
It looks very nice - valuation is very much in the eye of the beholder. It's not the Record Ace which gets stronger money. A set of decent photos (and offering delivery) should see £150-200 on eBay I suspect.

And tell the clueless halfwit in the shop to check things out before he makes sweeping statements like that!

Perhaps we should know who he/she(?) is so that we can put him/her right.

Tyres look good and if rideable then at the upper end of Hamsters valuation, maybe a bit more if two people on ebay fancy it :)

Back