Purple Machine Tech Brakes (auction)

NeeLix

Retro Guru
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Pity about all the missing bits. I really want a set of these. Chances of tracking down missing parts have got to be low.

Wouldn’t know where to begin with that. Instead I’ll patiently wait for someone else here to pick them up and watch in awe as they whittle the replacement parts on a CNC machine they keep in their bike shed!

It’s important to know your limits and unfortunately mine stop some way short of fabricating components!

Wouldn’t know where to begin with that. Instead I’ll patiently wait for someone else here to pick them up and watch in awe as they whittle the replacement parts on a CNC machine they keep in their bike shed!

It’s important to know your limits and unfortunately mine stop some way short of fabricating components!
Honestly its no problem, especially if you give one of the missing bits to an engineer. I got an amp f4 fork several years ago that was missing many of its fittings, one spring(F4 has 2), the collars etc gave the fork to an engineer who on his lunch break recreated those missing parts, but also fabricated other collars and pivot points as he said he found cracks in the one on the fork. He also used a modern harder alloy (alutec T6 i think it was) All the missing parts, plus the new parts plus a jig for preloading the main springs for fitting and changing the power, plus a neat jig to safely hold the damper pistons without damaging them, for £120. Basically gave me back a new fork
Now I might have been able to do most of that, if i had the tools and machinery, but then again certainly not the correct choice of metal, nor the jigs.

Honestly its no problem, especially if you give one of the missing bits to an engineer. I got an amp f4 fork several years ago that was missing many of its fittings, one spring(F4 has 2), the collars etc gave the fork to an engineer who on his lunch break recreated those missing parts, but also fabricated other collars and pivot points as he said he found cracks in the one on the fork. He also used a modern harder alloy (alutec T6 i think it was) All the missing parts, plus the new parts plus a jig for preloading the main springs for fitting and changing the power, plus a neat jig to safely hold the damper pistons without damaging them, for £120. Basically gave me back a new fork
Now I might have been able to do most of that, if i had the tools and machinery, but then again certainly not the correct choice of metal, nor the jigs.
For context - I live in London and work in finance (sorry). My network of people that can actually do useful stuff like the above - or indeed add any value at all to a broad spectrum of humanity is.. in total.. nil.

I am already trying to repair a set of WTB Speedmaster cantis, which is proving a big enough headache. Needed 3 new springs. Tracked 1 single spring down in the US, which is on its way to me now. The other 3 will be “fabricated” from a wire coat hanger and some needle pliers by me, and I’ll just hope I never need to use them!

For context - I live in London and work in finance (sorry). My network of people that can actually do useful stuff like the above - or indeed add any value at all to a broad spectrum of humanity is.. in total.. nil.

I am already trying to repair a set of WTB Speedmaster cantis, which is proving a big enough headache. Needed 3 new springs. Tracked 1 single spring down in the US, which is on its way to me now. The other 3 will be “fabricated” from a wire coat hanger and some needle pliers by me, and I’ll just hope I never need to use them!
Springs
Again thats another thing an engie can easily do.
for the amp fork, i needed one spring and phoned a few places to no avail, though one spring maker quoted me nearly 300 quid, talking about progressive rates and prototypes and other sheet meant to confuse and have me agree.
I eventually found a small engineering place based in some unit in the east end of Glasgow, went in brass necked as i usually do, old spring in hand to find 3 grubby oily Fred Dibnah types sitting round a gigantic teapot.
I asked can you reproduce this spring. 'Aye nae probs' was the answer, but we'd be better making 2 as a pair will have the same rate of compression, and trying to match exactly to the one I have would require quite a number to be made.
How much i asked, glancing round at the giant seemingly 100 year plus lathes and mills and and other weird looking machines.

Oh a tenner should see it right
:oops: :LOL:
Thinking now on the other company asking 300 quid and talking so much bollocks. I suspect their place would be immaculately clean, no oily hands and chock full of cnc gear.

Have a Bump on me as @BlackCat your comments (made me laugh out loud) and are so true yet often hidden on forums were technical nous and mechanical empathy / ability are only 1/2 the story.

I just love riding is as much of a validation as pulling stuff apart .

I like to pull stuff apart thou.

Springs
Again thats another thing an engie can easily do.
for the amp fork, i needed one spring and phoned a few places to no avail, though one spring maker quoted me nearly 300 quid, talking about progressive rates and prototypes and other sheet meant to confuse and have me agree.
I eventually found a small engineering place based in some unit in the east end of Glasgow, went in brass necked as i usually do, old spring in hand to find 3 grubby oily Fred Dibnah types sitting round a gigantic teapot.
I asked can you reproduce this spring. 'Aye nae probs' was the answer, but we'd be better making 2 as a pair will have the same rate of compression, and trying to match exactly to the one I have would require quite a number to be made.
How much i asked, glancing round at the giant seemingly 100 year plus lathes and mills and and other weird looking machines.

Oh a tenner should see it right
:oops: :LOL:
Thinking now on the other company asking 300 quid and talking so much bollocks. I suspect their place would be immaculately clean, no oily hands and chock full of cnc gear.
Ha. I don’t doubt it. The only issue I have is no engineering shops around these parts. The best I could hope for is some self-anointed “artisan” hipster, in an achingly cool part of Hackney, to “craft” something or other for me. Would be cheaper to just get McLaren’s prototyping division to knock something up.

Back