Purbecks Ride 23rd February Aftermath

Pyro Tim

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
This morning didn't start particularly well. I got a text from Makster (Mark) crying off. (Think he had a big night last night ;) )

I met up with Retroyetirigid (Chris) on the way to the ferry, and caught the 10 am ferry as planned. We saw Wookiee (Doug) and family in the car on the same ferry and met with Dezzi (Darius) on the other side. A quick call to Stocko (Paul) confirmed he was running late due to headwinds, and would meet us down the road.

We set off into a very strong headwind, and decided we'd do my "night" route, with extras. An easy spin along the road to the point our path heads through the heathland, and waited a couple of minutes before Paul came into view. He'd ridden 24 miles just to get to us, I'd done just over 6 at this point! We set off, and the trails were wet, but generally good, and it wasn't long before we had our first mechanical. Dezzi only finished his build on Friday, and was still experiencing settling in niggles.

12730266933_8b2b5c98e6.jpg

We continued and had a gentle ride up to the bottom of Brenscombe little woods, or as Mark introduced it to me as, Mount Mother F***er. 0.4 miles, and 215' climb at average 10%. I admit at this point I went for it, and managed to get a Strava PR by just under a minute, which I was happy with.

Once on the ridge it was a very windy ride along and down into Corfe, and wasn't too muddy. We hit Juggasaurus cafe, and were served by the delightful girl with the massive... We chewed the fat had some cake and hot chocolate on the whole and had an enjoyable bit of banter. Once we decided to leave, we bid our farewells to Paul and Doug. Paul to ride home and Doug to be picked up to visit his parents and Sunday roast. Dezzi, Chris and I decided to head deeper into the Purbecks, as we didn't fancy climbing onto the ridgeway into the teeth of the wind, and had a pleasant ride uphill mostly towards Kingston, a lovely little village with views of Corfe from the beer garden of the Scott Arms, where we settled in for a swift pint.

12730081775_178ea135c5.jpg

There was a gravestone in the beer garden, so we assume this bloke liked his ale
12730232433_7668fb8c65.jpg

but the views were stunning
12730219453_17e0e91505_z.jpg

12730032515_dfd100f961.jpg

We left after just the one, and continued uphill to a trail which had a very rocky downhill section, according to Chris. However, to get to it we had to traverse a mass of deep wet mud, that was unrideable, then a very narrow rideable strip on wet mud next to a barbed wire fence. Unfortunately I lost traction on this section, and hit a fence post with my shoulder / chest, and impaled my arm on the barbed wire. I only managed to get a picture of this cut on my shin, and I don't know how I got that

12730472244_ec9894a4bb.jpg

Chris just wanted to show a bit of thigh

12730485374_f63bc580a2.jpg

We had to traverse more deep mud before the rocky section

12730462344_b46727017d.jpg

12730412414_10d603ae0c.jpg

Did I say it was really muddy?

We tackled the rocks, and it was treacherous. I think we all had spills, but no damage done, until we got to the bottom, and I punctured. At least it meant I could get a pic of the steam train as it went past

12729851765_2d97e92513.jpg

We then ended up riding along quiet roads mostly all the way back. Chris punctured just before we got to the main road from Swanage to the ferry, and I found I had lost a front brake block along the way so had only a poorly performing back brake for the rest of the ride.

We were out for 7 hours, I completed 32 miles, and climbed 2500', average speed of 8 mph. The weather held, and the wind dropped off as the day went on. Thoroughly enjoyable and I look forward to the next time :)

Was a good days riding, sorry you all had to keep waiting for me, hope to be fitter for the next one, hows the arm holding up? :) ill try and get some pics up later once I figure out how to resize them on my phone. Nice meeting you all, and nice bikes!

upload them to flikr or photobucket dezzi, then copy the location into the img tab

arm is a bit sore, but I'll live, cheaper than damaging my bike ;)

Nice to meet up again and that wind was fierce! However my roast beef was sweet! :LOL: Sounds like you had a good ride after we (Paul and I) left. Seeing Dezzi's P7 has given me some inspiration for my own build...although the Bona Pine Cone is a legend to behold of the Purbecks!

You guys should all come my way for a bit of a blast...more technical and defo more muddy but good for a laugh!

Doug

was a good ride as always,51 miles covered so feeling it today. good to meet other retrobikers-(retroyetirigid and dezzi) and also tim and doug. sorry I had to bring a modern bike :oops:

Back