Project: Shed(s)

Watching with interest! I currently fill 1 1/2 garages with my stuff. I had a big reorganisation during covid and reclaimed some space without throwing anything or selling anything. I’m back to the stage now where while it’s very useable we may want the garage for downstairs house space so I’m having to think about building a shed and downsizing a bit.

While we all share similar stuff I guess we all have different priorities/daily tasks.

I ended up thinking about workflow and being able to get to stuff a bit like when you design a kitchen and have work triangles - fridge/cooker/worktop. So in my garage I can get to bike tools/parts/working space the most easily as most of my time in there is bike stuff but I do have all the DIY equipment in there as well as the garden power tools (more for security than space - the rest of the garden stuff has its own shed).

A few observations
- makpacs - I do use a quite few of these, they store great on a high shelf up to the roof as they are all a regular size. I ended up buying more when cheap and moving other tools over to these as they are easy to store, especially the less used stuff. Have you considered some deeper strong wall shelves high up over your workbench? Maybe 2 boxes high? Maybe using track shelves.
- any racking/shelving you use needs to have storage solutions that fit the space otherwise they create dead space.
- I’ve managed to sort through my spares into can’t/won’t sell yet; happy to sell; stuff to give away; scrap - and have filled storage boxes with each. Scrap is actually a small cardboard box. I don’t have the time to sell/giveaway all at once but answer wanted ads on here if I know I might have something
- tubes - I had an hour sat with a cup of tea and the radio sat in a chair pumping up old inner tubes! Those that were good I rolled up factory style, secured them with bands of scrap inner tube and filled a plastic storage box. I’ve used far more up since then than when they were hanging up. I used to just reach for the new ones!
- tyres - these seem to take up space and don’t store well - I ended up selling for cheap/giving away/answering wanteds. Just getting them all in one pile seemed to help.

Sorry rambling a bit as it’s something I’m constantly trying to solve in my head.

Once again joking aside.....the issue of "tidying" stuff is that its just that! Its not actually solving anything. The size, layout, height of the space you have is pretty much irrelevant.

The idea is to GET RID of the stuff, not just look at it all ( AGAIN) and put it all back in in a neater fashion (AGAIN).

This is part space making and part life laundry.

Yes, you may end up selling a few bits that in 3 years you MIGHT need.....but with the mountain of cash from sales you can always buy again if they are DEFINATLY need.

Plus, frankly, with the number of evident projects in that shed....that's going to be a while.....if ever.

That sadly is the opportunity cost of parts....they cost you space and mental freedom.

As i said above, one of the weirdest outcomes of my own clearance was that without that "frame I've been thinking of doing for 10 years" staring me in the face each day...... I've realised that there are other avenues.

Being blindsided by your stuff actually only acts as a limitation to your growth in your pursuit.

Last edited:
I suppose the big questions i asked myself were....

Am i going to really be excited building this?

Am i going to really get something out of it when finished?

If the answer is i dont know or a firm " not really" then you know where that bit needs to go!

I suppose the big questions i asked myself were....

Am i going to really be excited building this?

Am i going to really get something out of it when finished?

If the answer is i dont know or a firm " not really" then you know where that bit needs to go!

I'm pretty much to the point we're all parts are allocated and or on builds..... Rest is pretty much gone.....the focus I now have on the last 3 big projects is now ....kinda singular and laser like!
No chaff.....just focus.😁
It's like lining up a shot....one shot.... kill shot.... reload....shoot again 😆
I think I kinda forgot what really was my quest...
All custom...all mine....enough to see my days out.... hopefully Im way closer to done than out 🤣

Once again joking aside.....the issue of "tidying" stuff is that its just that! Its not actually solving anything. The size, layout, height of the space you have is pretty much irrelevant.

The idea is to GET RID of the stuff, not just look at it all ( AGAIN) and put it all back in in a neater fashion (AGAIN).

That doesn't really make sense, unless the aim is to get rid, then that is pretty straight forward in terms of a process. If the items were acquired because of want and desire and there is no reason to get rid, then tidying as you call it would solve space issues if done correctly, surely?

That doesn't really make sense, unless the aim is to get rid, then that is pretty straight forward in terms of a process. If the items were acquired because of want and desire and there is no reason to get rid, then tidying as you call it would solve space issues if done correctly, surely?
I think raidans issue is not about tidying it's simply no space at the inn! When the glass is full it's either drink or pour before more!

Also....and absolutely no offence to @raidan73 in any way here, but the first picture of his shed serves as a classic example....

Surely what he wants is a calm workshop, with space for his prized bikes, his parts; somewhere to enjoy a light beverage whilst musing his latest project on its goldplated workstand..

BUT honestly....with 50 cubic m of stuff in a 50 cubic m shed.....its never going to happen. That's just physics.

So again.....who owns who?

Back