Proflex 854 finished eventually...

Andy T

Orange 🍊 Fan
The Proflex purists might want to look away...........

First build I've posted on here, comments welcome :)

This was supposed to be a summer (2013) build for me to refresh some long since used bike maintenance skills before letting loose on some ‘exotica’ and then ride it through the winter, however several operations got in the way and it wasn’t completed until a couple of months ago due to ‘other’ priorities during that time.

I lusted after a Proflex as soon as I first saw them at my LBS (Hardisty’s) in the early 90’s, however cash flow as a student Nurse with a mortgage made sure that never happened! I now have several in the stash to sort out – looking for a 954/955 if anyone wants to part with one? :)

How does it ride, Hmmm...I do prefer hardtails, however; it’s not a bike for big miles - 45 miles last week XC/cycleways wrecked my neck, the stem can’t be raised with a Vector 2 fork, it was originally built for Downhill so I’ll give that ago later this week!

It seems to handle better than the 856 with coil/oil backend/Vector 2 I have! The rear brake linkage whilst a great talking point will not stop the bike at even moderate speeds with a weighted rear end, unweighted its adequate, better pads may improve this. Elastomers seem to do as advertised, didn’t notice any rebound.

For a part aluminium frame its heavy!

This frame colour was not an option on the 854, it was an option further down the range though. ;)

Next up is either a Proflex 855 or a Drop Bar Overbury’s....hmm

And the spec for those that want it....It was supposed to be a '94 build spec as per the brochure, however to get it finished I've used parts that were available in the Proflex range in the '94/95 years and a few aftermarket bits...

Frame: 18” Double Butted, Heat Treated Alcoa 7005 Aluminium main triangle with butted Cromoly Swingarm

Fork: Girvin Vector 2 (All bushings replaced) Suspension w/2.1” travel ....Hmm

Headset: Oversized Aheadset
Stem: Vector 2
Handlebar: Offroad 560mm
Grips: Gripshift (NOS)
Barends: Onza

Brakes: Deore LX M-565 (NOS)
Brake Pads: Deore LX (NOS)
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: Dia-Compe Power Control 11n (NOS)

Shifters: Gripshift SRT 600 (NOS)
Front Derailleur: Deore XT FD M-737
Rear Derailleur: Deore XT RD M-737
Derailleur Cables: Shimmano
Cassette: XT 11/28
Chain: -
Cranks: Sugino 175mm (NOS)
Crank Bolts: -
Chainrings: Sugino CS III 44/32/22 (NOS)
Chainring bolts:
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Whatever is on at time.

Hub Skewers: Ringle
Rims: ARAYA RM-20
Hubs: XTR M-900 (Front/Rear)
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: Onza Agro 26 x 2.1
Tubes: Specialized....I think

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium
Seatpost: PUSH
Seatpost Binder: Proflex

Weight: Not weighed yet.

Re:

That is soooo nice to see a Proflex yellow ( than the usual red ,blue , green) and those original Girvin forks with the stem all welded together just looks great and the rear elastometer is just right , Great stuff . :cool:

:) lovely beast.. had a red one..bitd u shud fit some riserbars if your necks hurting go-fast with the brace compliment the vectors nicely
There are a couple of variants of the vectors from later bikes that enable u to fit any stem

Andy T":2lw4om1h said:
Muddy paw":2lw4om1h said:
That's one gorgeous looking bike , awesome work mate that's really inspiring :cool: ..

Cheers Muddy Paw,
How your proflex coming along ;)

Andy

I wish :LOL: :LOL: , maybe some time in the future i could actually answer that question but for now i'll just take pleasure in admiring your beauty and see what happens next year ;) ..

Latest posts

Back