Pretty in Pink - 1991 Kona Hahanna.

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I picked up this ex-commuter hack Kona Hahanna the other day, plan is to turn it into a bike for Mrs Jimo746 to join me for rides round the park/ beachfront etc (we'll see if this transpires, her last bike sat in the shed unused for 2 years :roll: :LOL:).

The aim is to keep it zero cost and use parts I have in the shed, for some reason I already have a pink cable set so thats a good start! :LOL: I may fit a suspension fork too, think I have a 1" steerer one somewhere...

Anyway, this is how I got it, panniers and all, it Weighs a ton!
I've stripped it down to the frame today, and will try and build it up this week.

Attachments

• DSC_0557_copy_2752x1548.jpg
    DSC_0557_copy_2752x1548.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 653
Re:

Certainly a 1991 model there and plenty of potential. The plastic dog collar was correct spec for the year.

I had one myself as per this thread here, really enjoyed the rebuild - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=369132 . I junked the 200GS and wheels in favour of Deore LX which improved the ride no end, still a bit of a lover than a fighter in terms of weight though :cool:

Re: Pretty in Pink - 1990? Kona Hahanna.

simdagger":1up3c3l2 said:
1991 I'd say.

Not sure what's on with that dog collar

I think it may be original, it's plastic, and kind of noodley.
Not being used due to the V-brakes though.

Re: Pretty in Pink - 1990? Kona Hahanna.

jimo746":23kbnw6f said:
simdagger":23kbnw6f said:
1991 I'd say.

Not sure what's on with that dog collar

I think it may be original, it's plastic, and kind of noodley.
Not being used due to the V-brakes though.

Ah cool...It sort of looked as there was some modification to make it work with V's...good to keep for the future if it's not been twiddled with!

Re:

Also, it has a nipple!

On the bottom bracket shell. Must have been added? Odd, but useful.

Re:

jimo746":2gl5p31y said:
Also, it has a nipple!

On the bottom bracket shell. Must have been added? Odd, but useful.

That’s the ‘grease sealer’ port, standard issue for Kona at the time on all models. Indeed very clever before sealed cartridges became the norm :)

Weird, my 1991 Explosif doesn't have it, maybe it's been removed/lost along the way. It's got a cartridge bottom bracket in it now.

Re:

Spent a bit of time on this afternoon before I was called in for my dinner :LOL:
Gave the frame a good T-Cut, and it turned out surprisingly well, considering this had been some guys Commuter bike it's cleaned up better than I expected tbh.

The only parts I'll be keeping are the frame, brakes, and seatpost. The rest of the parts are courtesy of my "parts mountain", which I'm trying to reduce! I've already sold a few bits off the bike to interested parties, so this is a true zero cost build (I might even splash out on a few beers to celebrate once it's finished :)).

After raiding the parts mountain I've settled on some Marzocchi Bomber Z3 Light forks, and an Acor Riser bar and adjustable stem. I think I have all the parts needed to get it up & running, it won't be "period correct" etc, but it'll be fine for Mrs Jimo746 to ride I think.

Attachments

• DSC_0579_copy_1238x2201.jpg
    DSC_0579_copy_1238x2201.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC_0580_copy_1548x2752.jpg
    DSC_0580_copy_1548x2752.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC_0578-01_copy_1995x1325.jpeg
    DSC_0578-01_copy_1995x1325.jpeg
    737.3 KB · Views: 512
Bubbliciously good :cool:

my '90 Explosif has the grease nipple, does your '91 not have the hole either?

Latest posts

Back