** Trek Farley 5 Fat Bike **

What a beast! Ideally suited to your location I'd imagine. Would love to have a go but I think it would be overkill for where I live. Great pics but I look forward to some trail pics, of course :cool:

Posted this over on Macretro, thought I'd post it here too. :cool:

Christened the Fatty yesterday, did the same ride as I did last time on the Stooge.

Well.... what a machine! It's very nimble and agile, much more so than the Stooge, and offers absolutely immense grip/traction. It just floats over the soft ground, sections of path that the Stooge sank in this thing just ploughed through!

tf1.JPG
tf2.JPG

It's a really nice ride out around Tolsta Head down to the beach, the views are spectacular looking across to the snowy mainland hills.

tf3.JPG
tf4.JPG

Found a path I could ride all the way down from the cliff top to the beach, I took a slightly different path last time which ended with a very precarious climb down with the bike!

This is the first time I've had a bike with a dropper post, having been a die-hard old fart with a "I've never needed one in 52 years so why would I need one now, I just get my arse off the back and lean on the saddle" attitude! Well, not only did I find it great to get the saddle out the way for descending, it's MUCH easier getting my leg-over! My hips (and knees) give me bother these days, so not to have to swing my leg so high over the saddle was a real bonus!

If you look closely at the bottom of the cliff you can see the bike, just to give a sense of scale!

tf5.JPG
tf6.JPG
tf7.JPG

Pedalled the full length of the beach through the water.... so much fun!

The last pic is from the opposite end of the beach looking back to the cliff.

tf8.JPG
tf9.JPG
tf10.JPG

Think I'll experiment with moving my cleats a little as by the end of the ride my right knee was a little nippy.

The only thing I could fault the bike for are the tyres, they felt 'bumpy' going along the sand because of the massive tread blocks. Bontrager do another tyre called the Barbegazi in the same 27.5 x 4.5 which seem to have more/smaller blocks down the centre which look like would make for a smoother ride, so I might try them if I can find any. And that Ergon saddle is not for me, I've persevered with it but it's time to go!

Was a lovely ride and a great way to try out a new bike. :cool:

Last edited:
Great pics Mike, and a great day for it by the looks of it? Sounds like the bike is ideally suited to your kind of terrain there. How far is Tolsta Head from where you live?

I've never had a dropper post and I'd never considered the added benefit of a dropper post, for getting on the bike - genius!

I might have to subscribe to the macretro section, to see all the pics I might otherwise miss out on. I spent most of my 20's and early 30's living in Glasgow and visited a lot of the country during those years. A visit is long overdue.....

Cheers Adrian! Yeah, was a cracking day, although it was frosty first thing. It‘s 13 miles from my house in Stornoway to Tolsta.

Ha! I always tell my customers when they're trying bikes out that if they're new to modern bikes the very first thing (and best thing) they need to know about a dropper is it makes it heaps easier to get on and off the bike, as well as if you need to stop in traffic, or whatever reason you need to pull up and stop. 😁

Ha! I always tell my customers when they're trying bikes out that if they're new to modern bikes the very first thing (and best thing) they need to know about a dropper is it makes it heaps easier to get on and off the bike, as well as if you need to stop in traffic, or whatever reason you need to pull up and stop. 😁

Yeah, I have to say the dropper was a bit of a revelation for me, I definitely won’t swap it out for the carbon post! Starting from a standstill with the post dropped all the way and my knees up round my ears was awkward though.... I’ll figure it out eventually! 😂

Last edited:
Love it! How are you finding those bars?

Cheers! 😎

Have to say I really like the Whisky bars, very, very comfortable, and I haven’t cut them down either. I’d say the Answer 20/20 was almost as good but without the rise of the Milhouse. 👍🏻

One of the biggest disappointments for me were the Jones carbon loop bars.... way too close to my knees on lock and just felt odd! 😖

Thomson titaniums were also a let down, far too heavy and stiff, felt totally over-engineered and didn’t absorb any trail buzz.... their carbon bars were better though.

Back