** Trek Farley 5 Fat Bike **

This just arrived from the man from Amazon, so at least now I'll be able to get an idea of what those big tyre pressures are sitting at! :cool:

psi.JPG

I don’t know is the honest answer! 😂 Supposed to be around 10 psi ish kinda thing, but I just pumped the tyres up to 20psi on my track pump which makes them pretty firm using the ‘hand squish’ test, yet the gauge only reads 6psi!! When I first pushed it on with the tyres at what seemed like around 6/8psi to me (very soft), the needle didn’t even move! :(

I find it a very difficult thing to judge what 8psi should feel like in a 27.5 inch tyre that’s 4.5 inches wide... it’s a massive void to fill with air... maybe the gauge is reading accurately and I just need to adapt! Factoring in my weight as well makes it a minefield... guess I’ll just have to experiment more.

The max pressure for the tyres is 20psi so running between 6/10 doesn’t seem so mad I suppose!

Last edited:
So, feeling a little disbelieving of the Accu Gage and what it was telling me was 5psi, I decided to try another gauge just to verify.

A Topeak D2 just arrived, and lo-and-behold.... it shows exactly the same pressure as the Accu Gage.... no discrepancy :rolleyes:

TPD2.JPG

It would seem that my preconceived idea as to what 5 psi should feel like is miles off! I guess in my head 5 psi would feel basically like running flat, but turns out that's far from the case! On that basis I can't ever envisage a time where I would run 10 psi, even with my weight the best part of 16 stones, 5/6 rear and 3/4 front is looking more realistic.

Having never used anything with tyres as big as this thing runs it's a bit of a learning curve, there's a lot of volume to a 27.5 x 4.5" tyre!

As me and Mr Ergon havn't really got on, I decided to hunt for one of the comfiest saddles I used over the years which was the SDG Bel Air. Managed to find a new black one with the Ti Alloy rails, so hoping this will suit my old posterior a little better! 😂

sdg.JPG

If anyone fancies trying the Ergon SM Pro Men in Med/Large it shall be in the for sale section shortly!

As the XTR on this is destined for the Stooge when it eventually lands, and as this has adjustable dropouts, I decided to make it single speed. 😎

One 20 tooth Absolute Black cog and a nice all-black KMC 11 speed chain later and the transformation is complete!

507D2C21-CB98-4EDA-8753-6AEF273CA504.jpeg 17987056-F51B-4F5E-802A-AA5C6AAF5FFE.jpeg 0B92A037-7AA5-45A4-9C6D-A434D6AE4B4E.jpeg

Hmmmmmm…. it would seem Shimano have changed the finish on their XTR components!🙄

5EDD8C8F-F44A-486F-8F6E-FB0DF22275DE.jpeg

It’s gone from a kind of chrome silver to a gunmetal grey!

My first negative experience of Brexit, purchased these from Germany, the pistons have cracked on the rear caliper and I have to jump through so many hoops and fill in umpteen customs forms to return them for warranty I thought "sod it" and just bought a new one from Winstanleys instead!

Lets hope this new one lasts a little longer! 😕

Great pics, and what a glorious day for it

Thanks Adrian, yes, weather much better today, has been pretty wild here this last while! 😖

Back