Powdercoating, decals and framesaver.

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I have a frame that I am due to get powdercoated. I wanted to treat the frame with framesaver or similar to give it a chance to survive a few years.

I assume I treat the frame first, before I get it powdercoated, but am going to apply decals on the frame after it sprayed.

Will I need to lacquer them after,

Apologies if these are daft questions 😬

It's probably worth checking with your powdercoater as the frame will go into an oven. I think I'd do framesaver afterwards.

It's going to Solent in Eastleigh, pretty sure a few people have used on here.

Just need to decide if I should apply decals, it's a Marin to tour with.

Get it powder coated.
Then do the frame saver. (Or it’ll just melt/evaporate in the powder coat oven)
Then add the decals.
Don’t clearcoat over the powder coat. (It’s hard to get it to adhere to powder coat and will probably come off easily).

Gil @ retro decals does decal sets with a clear top covering which is what I’ve used on powder coated frames before, they are pretty tough.

If you want decals under a clear coat then look at getting the frame painted instead.

Get it powder coated.
Then do the frame saver. (Or it’ll just melt/evaporate in the powder coat oven)
Then add the decals.
Don’t clearcoat over the powder coat. (It’s hard to get it to adhere to powder coat and will probably come off easily).

Gil @ retro decals does decal sets with a clear top covering which is what I’ve used on powder coated frames before, they are pretty tough.

If you want decals under a clear coat then look at getting the frame painted instead.
Thanks for the info, it's only a modest Marin frame for a 'toe dip' into MTB touring so a basic Powdercoat will do.

I didn't realise that you could get decals with a clear coat covering. Good to know, I'll drop him a message.

Back