Planet X Spitfire titanium road frame with Selcof carbon fork £499.99

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
I bought one as apparently they are discontinuing this rim brake version for disc (mistake!). Never had a ti frame. They were £1050 a few weeks back.

No pics but welds look very neat, cowled dropouts, BSA threaded, well thought out frame 1542g for the medium on my kitchen scales. Down tube has ovalized and thicker near BB. Building it with mix of Tiagra 4700 and ice grey Ultegra 6601 10 speed for now.

I bought this frameset back in April when they were going for about £530 delivered during a flash sale.
I am blown away by it, though I've been averaging only about 40mi per week on it so far.
The bike is almost as light, fast & responsive as my old Prinnie RSL, yet rides smoother than steel. Probably best bike I've ever had.
Built up with a 9x1 shimergo drivetrain + carbon Sram Force crankset.

It's a pity to read that they are being discontinued in favour of the useless disks.

I believe the frames are built by Waltly, who tend to get good reviews. You can get a custom (anything your heart desires) ti frame from them for about £1k taxed & delivered to the UK by the way.

I bought this frameset back in April when they were going for about £530 delivered during a flash sale.
I am blown away by it, though I've been averaging only about 40mi per week on it so far.
The bike is almost as light, fast & responsive as my old Prinnie RSL, yet rides smoother than steel. Probably best bike I've ever had.
Built up with a 9x1 shimergo drivetrain + carbon Sram Force crankset.

It's a pity to read that they are being discontinued in favour of the useless disks.

I believe the frames are built by Waltly, who tend to get good reviews. You can get a custom (anything your heart desires) ti frame from them for about £1k taxed & delivered to the UK by the way.

Thanks. I haven't ridden it yet but I was impressed by their kaffenback winter roadie model 10 years back (steel fork was heavy, heavier than and Kona Project 2 MTB fork).

It sounds sacrilegious but the Spitfire will be my spring/autumn/winter bike as it won't corrode and can absorb the British winter cack roads. (I have a 7.2kg Chinese carbon road bike by BXT for summer use).

I do believe they had them built in China by a manufacturer under another name. Nice to see it's Walty as I watched a YouTube video of them and they look pretty good. Joe from China Cycling (YouTube) - always an interesting guy-said good things about Walty too.

Maybe I got a lucky one, but I can't help & smile every time I get to ride it. From memory my build is about 8.6kg and that includes a brooks saddle and a heavy stem & bars combo.
Not sure about winter bike duties - I'm running 25mm tyres in it, and I think I can just about fit 28mm as I don't use a front mech, but there's no mounts or clearance for guards.
I'm officially a southern softie as I live a couple miles south of the Antonine wall, so I'm not ashamed to say that there's no way I'm riding this thing in winter season with all the water, wet leaves, mud and other carp on the roads.

When they were selling off the last of these cheap late last year I dithered about buying one and missed out. Still kicking myself.....doh!

I'm still absolutely loving mine. Best bike I ever had the pleasure of resting my butt on.

...But there's a good chance it might be replaced with either a retro steel Columbus TSX frameset at the end of the next season if the build goes well, or the Flying Scot if I ever manage to get it rolling again. Top quality steel is almost as good and a fraction of the cost. This is my summer bike, and I'm too tight fisted to have a ti+cf frameset sitting in the bike shed doing nothing for half a year.
Plus I'll get some retro style credits.
The biggest concern I have about possibly selling this frameset is that it might be extremely difficult to find a caliper-brake BSA-threaded road frame in the future, looking at where the industry is going.

Is this Planet X ditching the rim-brake lines then?

I'm still absolutely loving mine. Best bike I ever had the pleasure of resting my butt on.

...But there's a good chance it might be replaced with either a retro steel Columbus TSX frameset at the end of the next season if the build goes well, or the Flying Scot if I ever manage to get it rolling again. Top quality steel is almost as good and a fraction of the cost. This is my summer bike, and I'm too tight fisted to have a ti+cf frameset sitting in the bike shed doing nothing for half a year.
Plus I'll get some retro style credits.
The biggest concern I have about possibly selling this frameset is that it might be extremely difficult to find a caliper-brake BSA-threaded road frame in the future, looking at where the industry is going.

Is this Planet X ditching the rim-brake lines then?

Good to hear you like it. Haven't ridden mine yet despite having it since July. Pain getting the right headset.

I have titanium headset spacers, thompson seatpost, ice grey older Ultegra 6601 cranks (10 speed), Microshift 10 speed sti, tiagra 4700 front & rear mechs and brake calipers, grey coloured Pro Race 3 tyres, grey charge spoon saddle and ice grey 3ttt Forged Ahead stem with matching grey 3ttt bars.

I believe they have ditched rim brakes on all their models except the Mullo frame which is from sister company On-One.

Just got a letter saying that PX are going into administration.
Not sure why I got it, as I am unaware of them owing any money to me - perhaps, it's because the spitfire is supposed to be on warranty for another 10 months.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the spitfire - this is the only modern bike that I really, really dig. It's a great bike and a pity if PX are going under.
Also I'll cry if the frame cracks in the next 10 months when it should have been on warranty :LOL:

Just got a letter saying that PX are going into administration.
Not sure why I got it, as I am unaware of them owing any money to me - perhaps, it's because the spitfire is supposed to be on warranty for another 10 months.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the spitfire - this is the only modern bike that I really, really dig. It's a great bike and a pity if PX are going under.
Also I'll cry if the frame cracks in the next 10 months when it should have been on warranty :LOL:
Unless i'm mistaken, the letter you have received is a little out of date.
its true they went into administration (about a month ago) but were rescued and bought by what i think is some sort of chinese web based company. I dont know if that implies they also bought the working capital and warranty liabilities.

theres a couple of threads on this site with more detail, one in the road section, one in the mtb section

...... of course, i may be out of date if things have since changed

Back