Peugeot Surfer: No origin story?

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
surfer.PNG
sticker.PNG
Just bought this on ebay after I fell in love with the colour scheme, having won the auction I decided to try to find out some more about the bike but nothing is coming up.

I have skimmed through a few online brochures from the mid 1980's to the mid 1990's and it doesn't appear anywhere that I could see, there are a few models from a catalogue circa 1990 that have that same scribbled brush decal design and some other similarities, I found a couple with what looked like the same saddle, fork, bars, but nothing with a purple frame. i wonder if it's something they cobbled together from leftovers for the European market.
Hawaii.PNG sun valley.PNG

Hoping to collect it tomorrow so I'll ask the current owner if he has any information relating to its history, I'll also take some pics of the frame number etc, just wondering if anyone here has any idea about when this bike came out, what tyres it would have originally come with or anything else that might be of interest.

Last edited:
Picked the bike up today, it rides beautifully (For its age™) but is certainly in need of some TLC, it's completely original (except for the tyres) including the bar grips, brake blocks and pedals, so any information in regards to what tyres will be needed to complete this bike would be very much appreciated.

Wheels are true and spin very well, crank feels fine, Gear changes are OK, sometimes there's a bit of slippage but it seems to sort itself out after a couple of rotations, surprisingly light, I haven't the means to weigh it but it's only marginally heavier than my Orange Prestige, perhaps by a pound or two at most.

Full specifications list
Frame/Forks
: Peugeot Cromo Tubing handmade in France
Stem: Adjustable Chromoly quill stem with front brake cable pulley 130mm length.
Handlebars: Chromoly flat bars 620mm wide
Brake levers: Lee Chi 4 finger Aluminium lever blades and stainless steel barrel adjusters
Cantilever brakes: Weinmann Aluminium with Allen Leo spring tension multi adjustment
Headset: Peugeot chrome plated 1” with balls and races
Wheels: Front-Diablo sealed mechanism 36 hole hub with Weinmann 2121 Aluminium eyleted rims made in Switzerland with rustless spokes. Rear- Diablo sealed mechanism 36 hole hub with Weinmann 2121 Aluminium eyleted rims made in Switzerland with rustless spokes and screw on 7 speed cassette with spoke protector
Tyres: Specialized Crossroads EX 26x1.95” black wall 60tpi casing wire bead
Cassette: Sachs Mallard 13-32 tooth 7 speed screw on
Rear mech: Sachs Huret Classic 2000 medium cage
Front mech: Sachs Huret triple bottom pull
Chain set: Sachs Aluminium crank arms 28/38/48 tooth chain rings
Pedals: Shimano Exage Trail PD-M350
Seat: Peugeot comfort saddle with matching frame graphics
Seat post: Chrome plated steel with micro adjust
Grips: : Peugeot textured comfort grips

Things that need doing...
*Cables replacing
*Brakes and gears adjusting
*Full bearing service including hubs, bottom bracket, headset
*Rust removal from various nuts and bolts and components, although it's not too bad
*Left thumb shifter seems to be funky, it 'works' in that it shifts fine, but there is no click and it's a bit stiff, it's possible that the lack of a click is intentional, however as I have never seen a shifter like it I'm hoping one of you will be able to help with that.
*Frame and handlebars need some attention, a few small rust spots but nothing serious.
*The rear wheel has a little rust around some of the nipples, the front though is almost rust free.
*Possibly needs a new chain, although judging by the quality of the ride home it might be OK for a while yet.
*New old tyres
*I may look at treating the inside of the frame while I'm at it.

DSCF1186[1].JPG DSCF1188[1].JPG DSCF1198.JPG DSCF1195.JPG DSCF1194.JPG DSCF1192.JPG DSCF1191.JPG DSCF1190.JPG

Frame number is Y003 26639, if anyone can point me at a database or other source that might shed more light on the bikes origins that would be great.

Overall a very charming bike and I'm really looking forward to restoring it to it's former glory.

Last edited:
Cool, can't shed any light on the bike you have but I have one too. Rescued mine from the tip a few years ago for the grand sum of a fiver! Not got the original wheels, brakes or handlebars, just cobbled it together really but it's a fun ride.

Cool, can't shed any light on the bike you have but I have one too. Rescued mine from the tip a few years ago for the grand sum of a fiver! Not got the original wheels, brakes or handlebars, just cobbled it together really but it's a fun ride.
It's nice to know there's at least one more out there, I was beginning to wonder if it was some kind of home brew bike, not that it would lessen it in any way, it's a lovely bike and as you say - a fun ride.

Do you have the same thumb shifters? If so does the left one click when you change gears? I'd love to see some pics if you have them, and I wonder if your frame number is close in sequence to mine?

It's nice to know there's at least one more out there, I was beginning to wonder if it was some kind of home brew bike, not that it would lessen it in any way, it's a lovely bike and as you say - a fun ride.

Do you have the same thumb shifters? If so does the left one click when you change gears? I'd love to see some pics if you have them, and I wonder if your frame number is close in sequence to mine?
Will take a pic of the bike but it's bordering on offensive, I went a bit OTT with the purple theme!

Mine has the same shifters, the left is friction only, no clicks.

That information re the left shifter is really appreciated, it was something I had concerns about but if yours is friction only too then that is how it should be, so thank you. Look forward to seeing the pics no matter how offensive, and please share the frame number if you can.

Sorry about the late reply, just got around to taking pics.

Frame number looks like YC02 21387, although looking at yours the "C" may be a zero?

This hasn't been out since last Summer, I keep my retro bikes away from salt, it was covered with dust, just went over quick with a wet wipe.

Yes, the tyres are purple!

Attachments

• Surfer 1.JPG
    Surfer 1.JPG
    978.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Surfer 2.JPG
    Surfer 2.JPG
    943.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Surfer 3.JPG
    Surfer 3.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 16
Sorry about the late reply, just got around to taking pics.

Frame number looks like YC02 21387, although looking at yours the "C" may be a zero?

This hasn't been out since last Summer, I keep my retro bikes away from salt, it was covered with dust, just went over quick with a wet wipe.

Yes, the tyres are purple!
Nice, thanks for dragging her out, wiping her down and taking some pics - worth the wait and far less offensive than I expected! Very clean, the frame and forks look very good.
The white cables definitely work, I was toying with the idea of yellow if I can find a match for the handlebars and decide to say to hell with catalogue specs.

Nice, thanks for dragging her out, wiping her down and taking some pics - worth the wait and far less offensive than I expected! Very clean, the frame and forks look very good.
The white cables definitely work, I was toying with the idea of yellow if I can find a match for the handlebars and decide to say to hell with catalogue specs.
Mine must have had the handlebars because I've still got all the original controls, I can't remember them being yellow though. I reckon they must have been very rough for me to have swapped them over.

It did start out with black tyres but I blew a hole in the sidewall of one last year, I had the purple ones lying about so why not.

This bike was never really for showing on here, just a bit of fun, it rides great too with the wide bars.

Hi, thanks for posting on my Peugeot collection thread before... appreciate the comments. Regarding your Peugeot Surfer model you have purchased? My friend had exactly that bike at the same time I had my Peugeot Trail / Raider combo. I remember it well, so it would have been about 1988/99ish time wise. It was widely available in UK, more of a special edition as it did not appear in the main catalogue, only as a supplement leaflet. Your whole bike looks period correct except for the tyres (no surprises there). So its an excellent find in my eyes. And sourcing the right tyres can be done by buy another Peugeot with them on if you want to complete the period look.

Back