Peachy Pace RC529…FINISHED Pg22

I've had those bb mount things on various modern bikes for 10 years or more and never used them. Can't remember ever dropping the chain over a similar period with n/w and a clutch.

This is shaping up nicely mate, great thread. :cool:

This a very nice thread....and the ‘thread of biking’ being drawn from retro to modern. I started down this route with the build of the Grom’s first mtb at the age of 10 - five years ago - and realised after 20 years of not buying magazines - or doing anything other than riding - that something quite fundamental had gone on, and was still rumbling. Initially sceptical of all the wheel size stuff, I decided to actually try things out, and found a vast improvement had been hidden in subtle changes throughout bike design, including the magic of fork offset. Now tackling trails faster than every before, or trying gnarliness of grand proportions, I found my skills wanting. So I build a couple of jump bikes and got in the local pump tracks...and did some Alpine DH just to frighten myself. That all helped a lot, and has simply meant that being out there on the trails is relaxing and fun. For sure I could still be doing it on my Orange C16R and Marin Team Ti. But actually I get up and down things a hell of a lot faster and more safely on the modern geometry. Next build? The Cotic BfE Max, with some Lyriks.

This a very nice thread....and the ‘thread of biking’ being drawn from retro to modern. I started down this route with the build of the Grom’s first mtb at the age of 10 - five years ago - and realised after 20 years of not buying magazines - or doing anything other than riding - that something quite fundamental had gone on, and was still rumbling. Initially sceptical of all the wheel size stuff, I decided to actually try things out, and found a vast improvement had been hidden in subtle changes throughout bike design, including the magic of fork offset. Now tackling trails faster than every before, or trying gnarliness of grand proportions, I found my skills wanting. So I build a couple of jump bikes and got in the local pump tracks...and did some Alpine DH just to frighten myself. That all helped a lot, and has simply meant that being out there on the trails is relaxing and fun. For sure I could still be doing it on my Orange C16R and Marin Team Ti. But actually I get up and down things a hell of a lot faster and more safely on the modern geometry. Next build? The Cotic BfE Max, with some Lyriks.
Yup… I guess if it wasn’t for my son I don’t suppose I would have even bothered looking in this direction & although this will definitely be my most expensive build to date it should still come in cheaper than one “off the shelf”. Only today Our Jimmy was checking out the box of toys and he mused “in a few years when maybe you get an electric bike, will you trade it in? or do I get to play with it? 😀
Definitely, but I want to have a go first!

Last edited:
One of the many things I love about my 529 is the versatility….it can do pretty much anything…
29er
27.5+ for monster trucking
Mullet (not for me though!)
Rigid 29+ front
Single speed or geared for all the above…

it’s a fun bike for the eternal tinkerer

Ok…. You got me… Monster Trucking?

quickly please, before THM thinks up a euphemism….😁

Last edited:
Back