Pace RC31 repair or ditch?

Southville Hop

Old School Hero
Hi folks,
Finally located the source of an annoying creaking noise from my bike. Spent ages fettling the bottom bracket and crank, thinking that the noise was emanating from here, but to no avail! Instead found that noise is coming from forks, I guess that the adhesive between carbon and spigot is failing.

Does anyone know of a company able to re-glue the forks, or is it time to say goodbye to them?

Cheers

Re:

It may/should be possible to disassemble them and rebond.
There may even be a forum member with the necessary skills....

Cost wise I don't know, I'm guessing a repair is cheaper than replacement, but that's only a guess.

I would like to get them repaired, mainly for sentimental (and safety!!) reasons. I've had them from new since 2006 and I'm not sure if I would like to purchase a replacement from ebay etc without knowing their history.

Re:

Justbackdated on here is the man to speak to. He replaced the drop outs on a set i had and also built me a custom set in 24 inch.

Re:

That really is good news :) I will pm Justbackdated when I can, not made enough posts yet for pm to be enabled.
Thanks for the help

Re:

Your post has reminded me I needed to pm justbackdated for something similar so I have just pm’d him with a link to this thread. Just be patient he may take a few days to respond as he’s always busy.

The dropouts can easily be re-bonded, but I think your problem is at the crown end.

I shortened my RC31s by removing, cutting the tube back, cleaning all round, and then re-bonding the dropouts.
Not something to be done lightly, but certainly possible, and I wouldn't do the crown end,

All the best,

Attachments

• IMG_8400.jpg
    IMG_8400.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,684
Re:

Now then all.
The RC31 carbons are glued to short steel(or ti) spigots. The carbons are fitted with 2 shims to reduce the diameter and provide an upper & lower stop for the glue which was injected through holes in the carbons. Holes were then filled & decals fitted over. The spigots were fitted into a heated crown on a press together with the steerer, they were then peened into a groove in the crown similar to the sus fork stanchions.

It is very unusual for the glue bond to fail, it is more likely that the spigots have become loose in the crown probably by excess forward/backward flexing of the fork. The peening should prevent the spigots from coming out of the crown sockets but the result is the creaking you hear.
It may be possible to re-peen the spigots to tighten the assembly, I have the original peening tool, but it depends upon how badly the spigots have deformed.
Let me know if you would like me to have a look at them.
Cheers, Tim

Back