Ovetburys Pioneer E - Stay (that needs forks) any info anyone?

Darcus

Retro Guru
Hello again, being based in Bristol, every now and then an Overburys comes my way, often not for years and then all of a sudden there's a few on the radar. I was offered this E Stay frame recently and I think I might build it as I have a lot of components lying around to complete it. I really need some forks though, either original or matching aesthetically or in quality. I'd love to know a bit more about this frame as the seller didn't know that much if anyone can help? The dropouts have Reynolds stamped on them. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20211017_152323.jpg
    IMG_20211017_152323.jpg
    683.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20211017_152312.jpg
    IMG_20211017_152312.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20211017_152255.jpg
    IMG_20211017_152255.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20211017_152245.jpg
    IMG_20211017_152245.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20211017_152230.jpg
    IMG_20211017_152230.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
did you buy it with the paint stripped..? and have those tabs been added due to a previous faliure.

Would love to see this with its original paint, there have been a couple of repaired examples on here over the years.

Saw a great example at the Bespoked handbuilt bike show many years ago…painted red / black if remember correctly…was built with some unicrown style forks, did not check in super detail was too amazed too see a Overburys e-stay.

More recently an example showed up on the retrobike classifieds, and there was also an example of a straight bladed columbus tubed fillet brazed (claimed to be Overbury’s made) being sold.

If in doubt, could always stick some period correct Pace RC30s on, (which is what I’d choose to do in absence of actual Overbury’s built forks?) … anyway have fun researching, restoring, riding… if any other finds show up send me a pm

Saw a great example at the Bespoked handbuilt bike show many years ago…painted red / black if remember correctly…was built with some unicrown style forks, did not check in super detail was too amazed too see a Overburys e-stay.

More recently an example showed up on the retrobike classifieds, and there was also an example of a straight bladed columbus tubed fillet brazed (claimed to be Overbury’s made) being sold.

If in doubt, could always stick some period correct Pace RC30s on, (which is what I’d choose to do in absence of actual Overbury’s built forks?) … anyway have fun researching, restoring, riding… if any other finds show up send me a pm
Ok thanks a lot for the insight , I'll check out the Pace option.

Hello again, being based in Bristol, every now and then an Overburys comes my way, often not for years and then all of a sudden there's a few on the radar. I was offered this E Stay frame recently and I think I might build it as I have a lot of components lying around to complete it. I really need some forks though, either original or matching aesthetically or in quality. I'd love to know a bit more about this frame as the seller didn't know that much if anyone can help? The dropouts have Reynolds stamped on them. Cheers!
I think its safe to say you have a well repaired version of the generation of the bike in the poster above, Les rode the same version (Pic 2)and commented in a post here somewhere, the original curved blades were later replaced with the Spinner project II, as shown on the poster bike version (pic 3). Later reporting it considerably improved the handling.

I hope thats of some help

Would be nice to see the Riddler colours on yours given its the same design.

That is an interesting project, U- brake rear 😎 Personally I would be edging towards the P2 forks as they suit it so well in the advert.

If you really struggle I have a long steerer 1" P2 from an 89 fire mountain I may be pursuaded to let go of but it may need some thread adding to fit your frame.

RBG

Back