Overly tight stem clamp... Wrong size, or something else?

pw_pw_la

Senior Retro Guru
So, here's the thing...

I purchased an Azonic Shorty stem in supposedly 1 1/8, but have just discovered it barely fits over the steerer!

The headset cap fits nice and snugly inside, but otherwise the clamp opening seems just a little too tight to go over the steerer without excessive use of force. So much so, that if I did ever get it on I doubt I could get it back off!

My feeling is either, A: I was sold the wrong size stem (did Azonic make Shorty's in a size smaller than 1 1/8?). Or, B: It's the right size and somehow has been previously over-tightened, perhaps to fit on a smaller steerer, or else damaged/squashed in such a way that the opening is now too narrow to be able to fit comfortably over the tube.

Both of these options seem viable, although I'm leaning towards the former!

If it's by some chance the latter, has anyone ever had a similar issue? And, more importantly, any suggestions for how I could open up the clamp enough to make this work?

Bear in mind, I'm pretty limited with regards to "workshop" and tools. Basically, I have hand tools, an outdoor dining table, and a bike stand!

I'd really prefer not to have to source another one of these, but I feel like that solution is looking ever more likely.

Anyway, the digital calipers have this to report:

IMG_6598.jpeg IMG_6600.jpeg

And, for no good reason, here's the stem in question:

IMG_6605.jpeg IMG_6604.jpeg

Last edited:
Perfect size stem, the steerer tube is a bit wider than it needs be, but a bit of a mallet and maybe large scredrive prise apart will get it started.
If you have a file in the hand tool, chamfer the top of the steerer tube a bit.

Clean up the steerer tube with light emery or similar and de-grease, same on the stem and make sure there are no burrs.

Thread the bolts into the stem the 'wrong' way (ie into the threaded side) and insert a penny or similar so the bolts press against this to very carefully open the stem clamp rather than closing it, then slide it on.

Quill stem here but same principle applies:

IMGP6921.JPG

Drop-Bars-Removal-Compression-Slot-Coin.jpg

Last edited:
Way too much galliing going on inside the stem. Clean up with bit of emery cloth until smooth, don't over do it. Also clean up the top edge ot the steerer.

Pretty much whats been said already. Clean up surfaces and use a mallet if necessary to get it on. To get it off use the bars as leverage and wiggle it off.

I had to remove an azonic stem recently. Man it was tight. I wonder if they are just slightly small due to tolerance?

Could be that they are bored out first then slit, this usually closes the bore up as residual stress lets the material move slightly.

I love you guys!

All great ideas/info.

Not sure about the mallet and screwdriver to prise it open a bit without having a vice to secure the stem in... But maybe I'll start with that.

For the penny/bolt trick, it might be a little fiddly with the way the stem clamps around the steerer:

p4pb17059930.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 12.38.09 PM.png

(The little channel in the photo above between the two sides) So may need a longer bolt for it to work in reverse, but I'll give it a shot! Thanks.

Sorry, this is all probably so obvious to everyone else but all new to me!

Will definitely clean up both the stem and steerer with the file and emery cloth. Then I'll try some grease and mallet action if all else fails!

Guess I'll be cutting down the steerer based on measurements and maths rather than the traditional stick it on; mark it off; cut it down method!

I'd be too scared to get this thing off and then on again at this rate!

Thanks again guys.

Back