'92 Marin Team Issue: Building Your Own Donor Bike (Finished Build: Page 8!)

Good to see that it finally comes to go hands. Will follow here with interest. Original plan was to build a second one with purple parts but finally given up.
Here is a pic of mine with M900 and Manitou 1.
Every second day a was at the dealer when I was 14 seeing exactlythis build. Surely could not afford.
Have fun with it. 20210628_193625.jpg 20210628_193607.jpg 20210628_193556.jpg

Attachments

• 20210628_193556.jpg
    20210628_193556.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 11
Great inspiration Christian!

Have a feeling my build will go a whole other route... Especially because there's no way I could compete with that version! It's perfect.

Last edited:
So a few hours of elbow grease, actual grease, and the Artist Formally Known As Spontex later...

tempImage9UgZxO.jpg

Pleasing that it's already coming up so nicely after just one pass, and without touching the paint stripper or polish yet.

It might be laziness talking, but I'd actually prefer to keep a few of the marks and old war wounds, just so it doesn't look too shiny and "new". Mostly because I don't have the budget to be sourcing mint parts to match it, nor the desire to spend the rest of the year with the wet and dry in hand!

That said, still a few patches here and there to hit on subsequent rounds, especially in the little nooks and crannies, just to try and get it looking a little better before moving onto the next stage.

tempImagevhW3wq.jpg tempImage6yrFmt.jpg tempImageo2nwEz.jpg tempImageR7a8rZ.jpg

Last edited:
It might be laziness talking, but I'd actually prefer to keep a few of the marks and old war wounds, just so it doesn't look too shiny and "new". Mostly because I don't have the budget to be sourcing mint parts to match it, nor the desire to spend the rest of the year with the wet and dry in hand!

Not laziness in my book. I’ve gone down the road of starting with a mint frame or a few nos parts - it can quickly spiral out of control, and you can end up with a bike you’re too scared to ride!
I’m a big fan of retaining the patina and finding parts to match.

Looking forward to seeing more :)

Ha! I knew it wouldn't be long before you started another.... nice cleanup BTW... what did you use?

@Peachy! my good man. Like others, I had this one on the way before the last was even finished!

And now that bike is having repairs done, I have some spare time to make a start on this one...

As for the initial cleanup... Just some stainless steel cleaning pads (they don't call 'em Spontex over here!) and some WD40 because you can't get any GT85 either, and I'm an impatient type. Just a little on the pad every now and again to grease everything up and keep things moving.

Someone will tell me now how that's a big mistake and it'll ruin the frame!

It worked nicely tho, and wasn't too much effort at all, honestly.

And besides, as you well know, this is the enjoyable part for some of us!

Good job, you might want to have a go all over with MAAS especially in the welds (with a toothbrush) just to help hold back any tiny spots of rust from blooming, they will eventually but will just take longer with the corrosion inhibitors in the polish.
One effective way to really delay this would be to soak paper kitchen towels/tissue with evaporust and wrap around the welds covering them in cling film, before cleaning off with white spirit/petrol then apply the MAAS. In California it should never rust again.

I really don´t know what you´re talking about. "Too shiny and new"? Is there such a thing?

(tongue in cheek obviously, nice progress. Those nickel plated Marin frames clean up nicely)

Back