Orange EVO 2 - 1999 - Finished

Re:

Great to see photos....a lovely restoration of a bike in a very good colour way. I really really like that green metallic - had a tiny C16R in that colour for the Grom and it served brilliantly until beanpoled his way beyond it.

You’ve done a great job. Crudcatcher...for sure. Orange put in the bolts and sockets..we should honour the designer and use them....I always do...and never regret it as yet another sharp flint ricochets off the crud catcher rather than the frame.....

Nice job

Very smart. I've a slime green C16 that I'm fettling at the moment - yours is great inspiration, but I'm not sure my colour matching skills are *on the same level. That looks incredibly tidy.

Lovely job! I used to have a P7 in a similarly subtle orange. That was stolen but I have an Evo 2 in silver since new, I've accidentally gone retro without noticing! I was just wondering if you have any thoughts on the technicalities of fitting a modern 12 speed groupset (e.g. SLX M7100 groupset with XT shifter) to this bike - I'm concerned primarily on issues of alignment, BB and such. You seem knowledgeable on bike builds and I wondered if you think this would be doable, wise, silly? I've replaced rings with broken teeth, cables and chain but finding it impossible to tune up the gears (original XT rear, LX front) and wondering if I could replace and ride for some more years, or if I'd be better to buy a newish bike for the cost/challenges (probably second hand). Any thoughts very much appreciated!

CFP - worth persisting - it’s when all seems lost and you keep going that you get the learning in....
Keep going on it. Getting gears tuned is a fine art and often very frustrating. New cables and outers, GT40 sprayed into the outers before you assemble. Set up the end stop travel screws before installing cables, lube everything and see if rear cage is true - just have a good play pushing the mechs to and fro without cables in. That lets you know if the alignment of the mechs is right. There’s good stuff on here re aligning the front mech, which is a tough job - you need a 1-2mm gap between the teeth and cage on the outer ring - and you want the cage parallel with the rings - except for some bikes when you don’t ... grrr. But you learn. Then instal the cables with all the adjusters IN. And lube the shifters with light lubricant such as GT40...and the gears still don’t index sometimes...fiddle fiddle fiddle and then they do. Never give up...that’s the key. And that builds your sills enormously. I had some cranks which were seized on recently (not my bike) and it took two days to get them off - eventually cutting them off by hand (angle grinder in use elsewhere in the world). Huge task but worth it. Learned lots.

Back