Orange Clockwork 2007

frank.youngman

Retro Guru
I’ve finally treated myself to one of these special edition beauties.

Mine came with some Pace RC38 LT forks but I would prefer some 100mm travel forks.Looking at what I need it would appear that my forks are 1 1/8 straight,QR and have IS mounts (Hope brakes).

Can you buy decent new forks or am I looking at eBay for secondhand retro once again ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I sort of by passed the early fork stage.

Re:

I think it might be a challenge to buy decent new 26er forks these days, especially with a straight steerer. Not impossible though. You might be able to change the travel, user justbackdated would be the guru to ask. I keep meaning to find out if I can drop the travel on some rc41s

Re:

Thanks for the quick replies.The existing Pace RC38 LT forks have 83mm travel and need a service,however can’t find RC7 fork grease anywhere,including Pace.For me 100-120mm of travel is ideal.

I have not ridden the bike yet as I have decided to replace the drive train and start from a clean sheet.Cassette,chain,rings and gear pulleys all bought,just waiting for delivery of the last bits.

Cosmetically ok,usual scuffs and chips need sorting which means back to finding a match for Orange paint!

Aye - that clockwork was optimised for 100mm but could go up to 130mm.

SRAM Butter should do in the absence of the Pace stuff.

Re:

my 07 clockwork (number 200/200) was running 100mm forks and rode great, it's been sort of relegated now though as i have other bikes but it's staying with me but it's running rigid carbon forks now.

regards modern forks, as has been said finding something straight steerer and 100mm and 26"can be an issue, the only fork i can think of is a basic rockshox other than the basic dross from suntour.

but here's a suggestion, and it is not gonna be a cheap suggestion.

find a pair of older rockshox (i'd recommend a Reba) or fox forks that fit most of the bill, ideally 26", now even if the stantions are screwed and they are tapered (yes some back then were) you could send them to Dave at RSF suspension, he can fit new stantions from ND Tuned and he can convert tapered to 1 1/8 straight steerer, now none of this is cheap but it will give you a sorted fork.

might be worth thinking about.

:)

Would you consider a pair of Pace RC36 ProClass2? According to some, one of the best forks Pace made - apparently

Same age/look pretty much as the RC38 - but with 100mm travel.
I have a pair that's too long for the frame I want them on - maybe a swap?

**Edit** Are yours the black crowned RC38 LT? I thought those were 100mm too
The earlier RC38 II were 83mm - I think

Ah, didn't realise those forks only had 80mm travel.

I have an 08 Prestige and run that with Exotic carbon rigids, great forks that suited the frame perfectly. If you want Pace then maybe the RC31's

Back