Orange Aluminium Elite sizes/ are there forks out there?

TreaderSteve

Senior Retro Guru
I'm thinking of going for a 19" on a certain auction site. I've had a look at the 1992 catalogue; no sizes are mentioned.
I'm umming and aaahing as I'm 6ft2 (34 inside leg) and I'm concerned it might be a wee bit small. I did have a 18" Kilauea BITD and always felt that was a bit small. An 18" (I believe) Clockwork was just about alright for me - I remember BITD 18" was sort of 'pushed' as the size to go no larger than.
Did the Ally Elite come in a bigger size and should I really hold-out for one bigger? There are no forks - I guess originals are not so easy to come by? There's a seller on Ebay Germany doing some ally Shogun ones which would be fine for me anyway.
Thanks

Re:

Yes, they did larger sizes.
18" is just for the average to short person.

They came in 17/19/21"

34" inside leg here, but a lot shorter than you, can ride anything less than 19" centre to top of seat tube.
I think my Alu-O was 19" would need to check and was quite nice for me (I ride a 20" and 19" Kona, 20" is the comfiest, 19" great to.)
I have an 18" elite too and no way I can ride that thing.

Ref:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... f.jpg.html

Re:

Thanks FluffyChicken, I think it best I give it a miss. The prowling continues for a next-next project!

Re:

I'm the same height as you and have spent years convincing myself that I can fit on 19" Orange's. I can't really, not without a huge post and stem. Shame as they are the best looking and the 21" are gates.

Back