old Claud Butler Majestic

Claud

Retro Newbie
I have an old CB majestic which I have owned for a few years and have only recently got round to making some improvements. I have put in a new BB cartridge, put new cones and grease in the axles, new chain, Kool stop brake blocks. However, the rear wheel is somewhat out of shape, contributing to horrendous noise when I brake. Also I'm getting noise from the drive train every half a pedal revolution - there is some wear in the front and rear sprockets which may be responsible. I'm aware that just replacing the wheel would not be a straightforward option because of the increase in width of modern hubs/axles, although I have read about cold setting the rear triangle. it is a lovely bike, and I want to carry on using it, so it would be helpful to know what I could do to improve it without horrendous cost.I would be grateful for any advice!

I would start with the rear wheel and even just take to a local shop and get it serviced and trued. The hub and rims may even need respoking but hopefully with a bit of maintenance they will have a lot of life left in them. The chainrings are usually replaceable easily enough so maybe just a good drivetrain service will keep you going for a while without the need to look at cold setting.
Look forward to seeing some photos of it.
Maybe start a thread in the readers rides section. :)

Jamie

Back