Non-matching Hubs

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Can you live with non-matching front and rear hubs? If so, do some things about them have to be the same (e.g. colour, spoke count, rims) ?

I am considering options for a build and there's a front hub I would like to use, but it's from a company who (as far as I am aware) never made rear hubs.

I really don't like non-matching hubs, although I do have two bikes which suffer from this:
- My Karakoram Elite, which has an Alfine rear hub and rather than replacing the front wheel with a black-hubbed one I decided to keep the original silver DX wheel.
- My Richter 8.0, which I wanted to build with as many Tioga parts as I could, so I used a Tioga front hub, but since they didn't make a rear hub I have a Hadley GT silver hub (and non-matching rims :()

I also have a Scapin rear hub which I probably won't ever use because I don't have a matching font hub.

Can someone convince me it's alright to have non-matching hubs? And if so, in what situation? Pictures of/links to your bikes that pull off non-matching hubs appreciated.

For me I'm not too bothered.
Especially if it just the front. That was always the upgrade wheel/hub BiTD as rears cost a lot more.

So the standard would be a Shimano or Suntour rear hub, with say a Hope or other front hub.
A common setup. As it was just added ano bling.

But mixing say a hope rear and a pulsar front of different colour would just be odd.

My marin came from factory with white ind. Front LX rear, so I'm used to it but, in general the whole match thing bothers me not. A build to admire maybe, but I ride my stuff and just look for a good performance and value for money.

I'm another for 'must match'. My 26" disc wheels have an XT rear and a Brave front and I have to try hard to not to let it bother me :LOL:

I think in an ideal scenario hubs and rims have to match, however hub wise this isn't always possible with certain wheels and/or forks with specific hubs, but in my opinion the rims always have to match.

I have a couple of bikes with Disk Drives...one bike has a Disk Drive Compe with XTR M900 rear hub on a Mavic M231 SUP CD hard ano grey rim with Hope suspension front hub on a Mavic M231 SUP CD hard ano grey rim...the other bike has a Disk Drive Pro with XTR M900 rear hub on a Mavic M231 SUP CD hard ano grey rim with Ringle SuperBubba front hub on a Mavic M231 SUP CD hard ano grey rim.

Technically you cant really see the rear hubs on the Disk Drives so is not really an issue for my OCD.

It bothers me when they match. :) I think I've had 2 maybe 3 bikes in a long history of bikes that actually matched and that was by chance.
in the current stable there are only 2 bikes that do match, the modern (ish) road bike and the 98 GT performer that has GT everything on it.

Back