Noleen prototype DH forks

rick1127

Dirt Disciple
Does anyone know anything about the noleen prototype DH forks.
Apparently they only made around 30 sets for works riders??
can anyone shed any light on this.
Ive seen a video on youtube from a suspension guy in the states stripping a set and getting very excited about the quality.
Im hoping someone can chip in with some knowledge about these

Hi,

There is a bit of history on Noleen.
In a nutshell, Bob Girvin (left)
Proflex Offroad picture KG Engineering Girvin Herman Ducharme MB 1990.jpg
has started Offroad ~ 1989 (later Proflex) bikes and used his name for suspension components.
Most know is the Girvin Vector fork from ~1993.

K2 sport brand has bought Proflex (also including Girvin brand name) already in 1993, apparently they have kept the brands a few more years alive, but replaced own K2 bikes in 1997 with the Proflex portfolio.
~ 1998 earlier Girvin forks have been renamed in Noleen.

Innovative stuff was introduced like the SmartShock, an electronic configurable shock for the earlier Girvin Vector forks.
1670914470951.jpeg

The article above is also mentioning the new double crown DH fork with 150mm travel and traditional telescope design and steel coils.

This was called Chubby
Proflex 1998 Noleen 09.JPG

The picture is from the 1998 Noleen catalog, which has been just very recently uploaded by @KennyDTCC to the Catalog scans section:

Unfortunatly, the Proflex bike design, but also parts like Vector fork have been soon after stopped ~ 1999/2000.

Also other just new intoduced Noleen parts like suspension fork and damper newly designed for the 1999 K2 Razorback K2 Razorback RS.jpg
has been replaced in 2003 with Fox parts.

2004 K2 bikes went out of business.

Last edited:
ah, found the video you're refeering...

and indeed that's not just a Chubby, but rather looks like a prototype or pro version only:
Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 08-42-28 (6) Noleen Prototype DH Fork Tear Down Butter Suspension - Y...png

I have no further details on those.
But by the way those things are designed the look like a Motocross Bike fork, and overall this is maybe rather a discussion or topic for 1998 --> section.

Last edited:
Ive found more out about noleen and these forks in less than 24hrs off here than the last month trying to research them.
i emailed noleen and they seemed very helpful up until they asked for pictures of the forks ive got then nothing at all.
id be quite happy if they replied and said yes we made them but we have no information on them.
but just to ignore me after they asked for pictures.

About the name "Noleen" - Didn't the GT RTS's come with Noleen shocks originally? That would have been pre 95. Where is the connection between Girvin/Proflex and Noleen?

Noleen were and still are motorcross shock and fork manufacturers, I believe the link came about because pro-flex started using a cut down version of one of their rear shocks and in the vector forks. Clark Jones (owner of Noleen) bought in to the vector fork and I believe saw it as a way in to a new and emerging market. given Clarks history in motorcross it would be worth looking at the yamaha team trials bikes of the time as I think you may find some similarities with this fork (think the TYZ250 was around that time).

the chubby was a 100% bike fork and I believe very different in terms of the tech it used.

I recall the magazines didn't have much good to say about the Chubby's back in the day, at least in comparisons with other offerings at the time.

Back