Nicest bike I ever rode

eri

Kona Fan
Can’t place year exactly. ‘91? Was riding my Klein back to the city from poaching trails on mt tam. Going down an asphalt road that paralleled the freeway right before the Golden Gate Bridge. There’s a guy pulling a bike out of his station wagon, a ti mongoose with black rear triangle. I u turned and rode up started talking. He let me take it for a spin. I coasted down the hill, realized I’d probably scared the crap out of him by disappearing on his new bike, I turned then sprinted back up. Bike was really firm at the pedals, felt like good steel in the back, but front was light and airy like ti. Rigid steel fork. The two sections were glued together. Was difficult to see details with the paint and filler. Man that guy was happy to see me coming back with his bike!

Supposedly made for mongoose by Merlin, for when tomac was still racing for mongoose, but I think Raleigh had just hired him when I tried the bike. Was an epically great ride, damn stiff, really liked it. Fit me well.

A year later I was back in sf with cash. Wanted one. Called mongoose factory and they were all sold. They had a paint damaged they’d have sold me without warranty but wanted like $1k or something for the frame. Too rich for my blood.

Anyone remember these? Ridden one? Own one? Neat thing. Never even saw a review of one, a ghost bike.

There's a thread here about a Tomac edition Merlin Mongoose

A blog that requires an enigma machine to read...

And there's one on Facebook with the black back end, which I can't access because I refuse to play that game.

Could have been fatigue or my mood, or faded memory but I remember loving the feel of that mixed metal frame. I rode the more premium full ti version a few times but thought the steel rear triangle was more magical. I was just off college rowing and really liked stiff bikes. The Merlin’s were comfy but hard to ride straight.

Just found this hyperbolic article about the mixed metal frame.

Apparently the steel rear was a cost savings?

I’d love to do another head to head.

One of these days I’ll build up one of the 1990 Mongoose IBOC Merlin Ti/steel frames and do a comparison.
Yes indeed, Merlin did the Ti build for 1989 Mongoose John Tomac Signature IBOC - I regularly visited the Merlin shop in Somerset, Massachusetts to bug them about mine.

Merlin also made the bits for Specialized Epic Ultimate (1990-95) and the first 15 Raleigh John Tomac Signature Model (1991-1992) before Raleigh switched to Litespeed for the Ti head tube/lugs and rear triangle.

Mongoose had great stuff back in the day. It's unfortunate that they went the way they did. Several years ago I picked up a new old stock titanium frame without really knowing what it was. Turns out it was a TST frame that was intended to be a Mongoose. I built it up. With the wrong decals. They were all I could find. Anyway, it's a really great bike. Very lightweight. I think about 22 lbs. I enjoy it. Spinergy Spox wheels, SID fork, 1X XT drive. Avid brakes. Definitely gets the job done.

Attachments

• IMG_20220511_131626_177.jpg
    IMG_20220511_131626_177.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 27
Back