Newly inherited Hobbs of Barbican Blue Riband - what do you think?

SlowCyclist

Retro Newbie
Hi All

I have recently inherited this machine and I'd like to bring it back to usable condition. I cycle every day on a MTB but would like a road bike so I'm wondering whether this will suffice instead of buying a modern bike.

I think it is a 1949 production, which would fit as my father was a 1932 baby. It had a respray 20-30 years ago.

Could anyone advise on the exact model? Or is a project worth persuing?

Views, comments, opinions, watch-outs are all welcome.

Thanks for any comments

Steve

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg IMG_0387.jpg IMG_0386.jpg IMG_0385.jpg IMG_0384.jpg IMG_0383.jpg IMG_0379.jpg IMG_0381.jpg

Hi All

I have recently inherited this machine and I'd like to bring it back to usable condition. I cycle every day on a MTB but would like a road bike so I'm wondering whether this will suffice instead of buying a modern bike.

I think it is a 1949 production, which would fit as my father was a 1932 baby. It had a respray 20-30 years ago.

Thanks for any comments

Steve

View attachment 537251

View attachment 537252

View attachment 537253View attachment 537254View attachment 537255View attachment 537256View attachment 537258View attachment 537259View attachment 537262View attachment 537261
You would probably want to change the perishable parts (inner tubes,tyres, brake shoes, brake and gear cable's)and a good general clean all over as it looks rolling ready.
Consideration should also be given to greasing hubs, bottom bracket and headset.
It looks great.

Hi All

Thanks for any comments

Steve

View attachment 537251

View attachment 537252

View attachment 537253View attachment 537254View attachment 537255View attachment 537256View attachment 537258View attachment 537259View attachment 537262View attachment 537261
You could easily complete many enjoyable miles on this.

That is such a nice bicycle. If you're into vintage bikes, take your time to research it and gently restore it. I, for one, would be looking forward to seeing it back on the road.

If you're not into this kind of bike, it's best not to touch it and sell it on. "Untouched" means money.

Whatever you do, good luck with it!

Thanks for the comments, I'd like to give it a go as it doesn't seem to me that too much needs doing and I'm in no great hurry. Hopefully, someone will be able to shed some light on model, for interest as much as anything.

Steve

Thanks for the comments, I'd like to give it a go as it doesn't seem to me that too much needs doing and I'm in no great hurry. Hopefully, someone will be able to shed some light on model, for interest as much as anything.

Steve
Lot's of reading-

Last edited:
Owners of Hobbs of Barbicans can be found at

If it is a Blue Riband, then the model is Blue Riband.
Some of the components are from a later period.

Look at https://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/classic_builders/hobbs-of-barbican/ to be able to establish the year the frame was built.

And get some penetrating oil and apply it to all threaded parts.
While that is working spend some time reading through Peter's many Hobbs of Barbican builds at https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/229926/

To get more tips this thread is also very informative https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/238801/

Once you have read those, the penetrating oil should have worked.

I have a 1946 HoB Raceweight and a 1952 Blue Riband.

That's a very nice bike and very well preserved. It was built October 1949 and it still has many original components. Hubs are probably BH Airlites with GB wingnuts, so period correct, and nice to have the Hobbs Lytalloy headset and lamp bracket. The brake callipers seem period correct too, but the handlebar stem, brake levers, chainset, rear mech and gear lever are later.
There were quite a few Hobbs Blue Riband models over the years (at least seven) and not sure which one yours is, but it will be 531 or Kromo tubing.
Give it a gentle clean, raise the saddle a bit, lower the handlebars, remove the saddlebag (and possibly mudguards) and you'll have a great-looking classic bike.
If it hasn't been used for a long time, the grease will have gone hard in the hubs, bottom bracket, headset, pedals etc so these will probably need to be stripped and regreased.
Ride and enjoy...

Very nice, and covered with desirable parts.

As the others have said, it'll be lovely to ride. Brake blocks and re-grease everything. It'll want some new toeclip straps and you might consider changing the saddle if you think it's as old as the bike. Even with a lot of proofide and tlc, I've found older leather saddles don't stand up well to daily use and abuse. You could put a newer (e.g. 70s) Brooks on it and it'll look the same, but you'll not have to particularly look after it and you won't destroy your dad's saddle. Keep that one for Sunday best?

Thanks everyone, your comments are highly appreciated.

My current thinking is that a rebuild of the wearing parts is needed, and I will consider updating the gears and chainset - especially if these are not original. I'm not concerned about it being equipped with fully authentic parts but I'd like it to be sympathetic to the priginal set up.

The one part I'm not happy about is the badge. I don't think I'll be able to make this look nice, what would be best practice for this?

Thanks again for any advice.
1619775771242.png

Latest posts

Back