New Square taper Chainset required - what to go for?

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
I'm sure it's been asked a number of times, but what are people doing when their original mtb chainsets wear out?

I run a '94 cannondale M400 as my commuter / daily. The original Alivio :cool: chainset has really only just worn out beyond use, so I've had to bodge together an XT crank with some random 4x108 chainrings (took some cutting / filing :LOL: ) This is temporary measure.

I need / want a brand new (or NOS) square taper chainset.

Doesn't need to be swanky - it's a year-round commute bike with a rack on it, so lightness isn't really too much of a problem.

That said I don't really want a boat-anchor full riveted chainset, and ideally it'll be a BCD which allows the 'rings to be replaced in future (original alivio BCD 'rings are notoriously hard to find I believe, hence I've not explored that option).

Could anyone advise?

Cheers, Joe :cool:

I tend to just look around here, eBay, chainreaction/wiggle for bargains and replace with whatever looks vaguely decent. A few years back, I picked up some deore level square taper chainsets from wiggle for about £20 each.

Now seemingly everyone is going over to 1x - it's a buyers market for 3x or 2x. Slightly shamefully, it will probably be cheaper to buy a full chainset than rings.

greencat":1nn9qmzm said:
I tend to just look around here, eBay, chainreaction/wiggle for bargains and replace with whatever looks vaguely decent. A few years back, I picked up some deore level square taper chainsets from wiggle for about £20 each.

Deore level is great with me, unfortunately I've not seen a square taper one for a bit, it's all hollowtech II now.

The only square taper shimano one I can see it Altus or Tourney, which might be a bit too naff if you know what I mean - haven't seen one in the flesh though.

greencat":k3nvxy0j said:
Yeah, I haven't seen new Deore level square taper stuff for a while.

Does it need to be MTB? This 2x looks decent for the money:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/a ... 34t-175mm/

Ideally after a triple. Although for commuting I only really use the middle ring, this bike is also my touring bike and a granny ring is a must for me when fully loaded!!!

MatBH5":k3nvxy0j said:
https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p0/Parts-and-Accessories/Components-Gears-Chainsets
Anything from the Spa Cycles line up. Some fairly good value Steonglight there including 3x

Ace! Thanks for that, not looked here before! Either the Stronglight triple or the XD-2 Touring look great - think i'll be ordering one of those options.

I've used the spa own branded cranks. They are actually sugino. They also do some cheap rings that have proved good.

Re:

Bimly":3u6ibqrw said:
I've used the spa own branded cranks. They are actually sugino. They also do some cheap rings that have proved good.

XD-2 chainset - bought. £35.00. Bargain if it does the trick.

Re:

Keep an eye out on the classifieds. Old M730 is unburstable. Old Deore MT-60 is wonderful.
5 bolt is compulsory.
4 bolt should be illegal on anything pre 2000 (and not M950).

Back