Need advice shipping cranks from Germany

SF Klein

Senior Retro Guru
Howdy. I won a pair of Grafton cranks and want to make sure they make their way to me here in the U.S. from Germany. The seller said that if he ships DHL it's insured up to around 30% of the value for 38euros. To insure for the full amount, he says "we have to declare it as a bigger package, which costs 68 Euro"!! Seems odd that the DHL in Germany thinks that more expensive things only come in bigger packages. Does this make sense?

Is there a better option for getting these shipped? Hoping the German members on the board can offer their advice.

sounds like something more to do wiht declared value vs gift or somesuch thing

just a guess

im sure dhl's site will tell you

Insured (limit 186 EUR) trackable shipment from Germany to the continental US is 35 EUR.

BTW ... "Bollox" means "Blödsinn" or "Quatsch mit Soße" in German.

Cheers,
Andreas

Thanks Felix. What's the name of the shipping company with those rates? The seller got the 38euro/68euro rates from DHL. Thanks.

remeber, it could just be a bit of a language barrier, bigger=more expensive or some similar translation in german? i have a very limited knowledge of german, though DHL are a bit tricky. Ask him to post it with his national postal service or whatever gemany have, i'd imagine it's fairly efficient, knowing the germans.

A special holiday "thank you" to Andreas (felixdelrio) for his help in navigating DHL's German website and communicating with the seller on my behalf. :D :D My purchase should be on its way very soon. Hope I can return the favor sometime. ;)

Back