Mystery Double U-Brake

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
Not mine, just scouring the more obscure auctions. Always love a double u-brake. I was thinking Saracen but description says aluminium handbuilt - thought they were steel. Seattube/top tube lug certainly looks like it’s a steel frame? Anyway it’s in a traditional auction near Bradford. These auctions usually go cheap, there’s what looks like early Deore drivetrain as well.

Photo is not great but it looks like a very nice bike on its own merit, seems to be in good condition and definitely looks like steel, I know you can't see metal through the paint but the age (mid-late 80's judging by componentry) and the size and geometry of the tubing all point to steel, it may be a good quality frame too, light enough to trick the seller into assuming it must be aluminium.

If I lived up there I would be tempted to go and take a closer look.

Steel 100%. Looks familiar. I'd say Japan or Taiwan made rather than UK custom.

It’s a traditional auction house so you can either turn up at the place on auction day and stick your hand in the air or do it online. If you do it online you can either leave an absentee bid or bid live during the sale - waiting for your lot number to come up - it’s quite entertaining as with most of them you get a live feed from the auction room and can hear the auctioneer. Either way you have to register on easyliveauction there’s usually a buyers premium to pay which is usually a % of the hammer price or a set fee up front. For my local auction I usually go with the % on top of the hammer price as I don’t spend loads. Worth reading their small print in respect of fees but usually it’s reasonable.

In terms of shipping it varies by auction house - click on sale details and shipping policy. I had a quick look and in the case of this one it’s collection on Tuesday and Wednesday after the sale and it says you can arrange your own courier. Most of the auctions won’t entertain helping you courier a bike though so ends up being collection only.

In my case the odd time I’ve bought from the auctions near me I bid online from home (so I don’t have to sit in the auction waiting I did enough of that as child - the auction was considered weekend entertainment by my parents!). I then drive down and pick up my items before they close for the day.

It’s not as complicated as I’ve made it sound and it’s really worth the effort as I’ve had some incredible bargains and also posted some great bargains on here - my Overburys in amazing condition cost something like £30 a few years ago from an auction and I posted a Bontrager OR a few weeks ago that only made £30. I’ve got great enthusiasm for auctions I guess partly out of nostalgia but also because I can post them on here in the hope someone else can get a bargain and save another retro bike.

It’s a traditional auction house so you can either turn up at the place on auction day and stick your hand in the air or do it online. If you do it online you can either leave an absentee bid or bid live during the sale - waiting for your lot number to come up - it’s quite entertaining as with most of them you get a live feed from the auction room and can hear the auctioneer. Either way you have to register on easyliveauction there’s usually a buyers premium to pay which is usually a % of the hammer price or a set fee up front. For my local auction I usually go with the % on top of the hammer price as I don’t spend loads. Worth reading their small print in respect of fees but usually it’s reasonable.

In terms of shipping it varies by auction house - click on sale details and shipping policy. I had a quick look and in the case of this one it’s collection on Tuesday and Wednesday after the sale and it says you can arrange your own courier. Most of the auctions won’t entertain helping you courier a bike though so ends up being collection only.

In my case the odd time I’ve bought from the auctions near me I bid online from home (so I don’t have to sit in the auction waiting I did enough of that as child - the auction was considered weekend entertainment by my parents!). I then drive down and pick up my items before they close for the day.

It’s not as complicated as I’ve made it sound and it’s really worth the effort as I’ve had some incredible bargains and also posted some great bargains on here - my Overburys in amazing condition cost something like £30 a few years ago from an auction and I posted a Bontrager OR a few weeks ago that only made £30. I’ve got great enthusiasm for auctions I guess partly out of nostalgia but also because I can post them on here in the hope someone else can get a bargain and save another retro bike.
My brother and I used to get dragged to auctions sometimes too, incredibly tedious for kids, but now I'm older I understand the appeal, I'm going to pay more attention to them myself now 👍

Back