Mystery Box Crown Aluminium Fork (not Klein)?

rrrroberts

Dirt Disciple
Throwing this out to the biggest and best retro database in the world -

Main features: -
Aluminium box crown - very neat welding
Evolution size 1 1/4" threaded
Externally butted (tapers down in two distinct steps)
No names or logos anywhere (inc on dropouts)
Came with an XT headset and Control Tech Stem, so possibly off a decent bike
Is located in NZ so potentially NZ/Australian

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1772.jpg
    IMG_1772.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 58
No idea, but looks like a respray so might be worth trying to strip some paint off to see what is underneath

I remember a fork that was ti and another material that was boxy like that and had the steps due to the two materials. Can't remember the make though, it's on the tip of my tongue ......

Jez had one of these a while ago on his Funk. Not sure he still has it or sold it. He didn't know what it was, it wasn't a Funk, but served as a pretty convincing stand-in. It reminded me of something German like Noll, but not quite. I knew what it was but couldn't remember at the time. And I can't now either...!

His was stripped and polished so wasn't a composite of different materials by the way. Alu only.

i don't think it's a Funk,
they don't have this interesting step-wise decreasing diameter
Just to compare:

Maybe the fork is rather like this one:
but pictures in this thread aren't good, and the manufacture hasn't been identified... (maybe Taiwanese)

Last edited:
It is a respray but there are no other colours underneath it. It is definitely like the one in the fuzzy pictures - you can just see the tapering and the dropouts are the same.

You guys are good. These are the first clues I have

I 'think' I've remembered the brand of forks I was thinking of. Could be wrong but MRC popped into my head. Can't find anything online, can't remember if they had a box crown or not now. Probably wrong but my brain started working a bit so posting before it stops again.

I remember a fork that was ti and another material that was boxy like that and had the steps due to the two materials. Can't remember the make though, it's on the tip of my tongue ......

I 'think' I've remembered the brand of forks I was thinking of. Could be wrong but MRC popped into my head. Can't find anything online, can't remember if they had a box crown or not now. Probably wrong but my brain started working a bit so posting before it stops again.
good guess, but if you mean that one, that's just very close

that's a very good guess, but if you mean that one, that is just close
McMahon Racing Cycles Titan Gabel 1993.jpg

Last edited:
Back