My unicorn - 1994 Kona Hei Hei - FULL SPEC/FINISHED PICS ON PAGE 8 & 9 - BOTY 2021, BOTM April 2021 & 2nd MucOff Show & Shine Malverns Classic 2021

My Kona Hei Hei is in the poll for the 2021 Bike Of The Year (BOTY)...if you like it please head over and give it a vote :) 👍

So I found out yesterday that my Hei Hei won the 2021 Bike of The Year (BoTY) competition against some absolutely incredible bikes.

When I started building this bike I thought by going with subtle anodised black parts as opposed to the usual anodised 3DV, blue, red, turquoise, etc I was rolling the dice a little bit and I never for one minute ever thought that this bike would receive so much attention or gain the awards of Bike of The Month April 2021, 2nd place 2021 GT Malverns Classic Muc-Off Retro Show & Shine (missing the win by 1 vote to John Tomacs actual Raleigh race bike) and Bike of The Year 2021 so I would like to thank everyone for the likes, positive comments and the votes as it makes the hundreds of hours invested in this bike all worth it.

I know there has been speculation that I have thrown thousands and thousands and thousands of £££ at this bike basically buying awards/titles, but that simply is not true...yes this bike has not been a cheap build, but it certainly hasn't been an expensive one either (I am no millionaire) and I partly fund my retro builds from buying, restoring and selling retro parts/frames. This build has resulted from almost 3 years of hundreds of hours of searching/sourcing parts from all over the world, trading parts with other collectors and approximately 100 hours in total build time due to my OCD with my builds.

I am not sure I am going to be able top this build, but we shall see 🤷‍♂️

Thanks once again 👍 👍

Last edited:
A M A Z I N G thread and build :cool:. Congratulations on the double (BOTM & BOTY). This is exactly like a dream build from the mid 90s you'd drool over in MBA, MTB Pro etc. Thanks for doing such a great job at recording the process and love the fact the first photo in the thread was a Zaskar! :D

A M A Z I N G thread and build :cool:. Congratulations on the double (BOTM & BOTY). This is exactly like a dream build from the mid 90s you'd drool over in MBA, MTB Pro etc. Thanks for doing such a great job at recording the process and love the fact the first photo in the thread was a Zaskar! :D
Thank you so much, it’s really appreciate.

You've got to love a Zaskar hey...unfortunately the 94 Aqua Zaskar pictured had to be moved on for this build, but I do have a super rare 93 GT Tech Shop Zaskar in anodised black that is awaiting restoration and a full build

Latest posts

Back