Morrison Monark 1970s - Full Restore?

engpeter

Retro Newbie
Morrison Monark 1970s New Zealand Made

Rides well but surface rust over paint throughout the frame (in spots)... Original factory stickers

What do you guys think?
Restore it as is, or strip all components off, treat and repaint frame, full restoration?
Would it lose its value if I fully restore it?

Attachments

• 244352276_4689016967775465_3011895421078509287_n.jpg
    244352276_4689016967775465_3011895421078509287_n.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 245161556_4979372345411585_1614615517416633247_n.jpg
    245161556_4979372345411585_1614615517416633247_n.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 27

badgermat

Dirt Disciple
I guess that depends on where you are in the world. Here in NZ you see people asking nz$150 (£75) or so for them at the moment, but anything with two wheels is ridiculously over-valued right now.

If you're in the UK, it may have some novelty value, but it is basically as gas-pipe frame with mid to low end components. Probably not worth spending a heap of money on a full resto.

That said, I did a pointlessly expensive resto-mod on an equally low-end Falcon and love it. So if it's a project you're after, forget about value and do it the way you want.

bm

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it, but if you love it and want to ride it for a long time I'd consider a strip, clean and rebuild with new grease / bearings. Then new brake blocks if the originals are old and hard and some new tires and bar tape and then ride it.

allenh

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Thank you. How do you think I can clean the rust on the frame without damaging the paint?
@Peachy! of this parish wrapped a frame in blue paper that had been soaked in oxalic acid, put it into a big duvet vacuum bag, sucked all the air out and left it overnight (I think) which worked quite well but I'm not sure he felt it cost effective, Mr P can you confirm?

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
@Peachy! of this parish wrapped a frame in blue paper that had been soaked in oxalic acid, put it into a big duvet vacuum bag, sucked all the air out and left it overnight (I think) which worked quite well but I'm not sure he felt it cost effective, Mr P can you confirm?
I wouldn’t recommend it TBH, especially if you want to keep the original decals.
As for what to do with it, nobody can really tell you what’s best.
If it were me, I’d take everything off and super clean & service all components. As for the paint, that depends on your skill levels or how deep your pockets are.

Just remember this rule. Renovate/restore only if you enjoy the process & want to ride it.
There is absolutely no financial profit in it, the moment you replace the consumables and spent an hour on it you would have already lost out.

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
Thank you. How do you think I can clean the rust on the frame without damaging the paint?
I can't tell how rusty it is. Initially I'd start with a good warm water and dish soap wash with a sponge that has a bit of abrasive material on one side and see how it looks. If its pretty clean then I'd follow the my old 10 speeds guys recommendation and use carnuba wax. If you are really anal you could clay bar the frame like Spindatt did on his rockhopper. Then finish with carnuba wax. I've used some rust removal chemicals from the local autoparts place on hardware and components. Metal polish and/or steel wool is good for cleaning those up as well.

Again, this is an entry level bike so I wouldn't go too crazy with it.

Latest posts