Mildred (MONGOOSE Tiocali)

enc

Kona Fan
Meet Mildred my 2008 Mongoose Teocali Super. Mildred's been on the back burner for a while... as I concentrated on other projects, mainly my mate's Lava Dome.
With having to work outdoors, dark nights drawing in and less free time on my hands, Mildreds probably going to be my last project of the year.

I'd had my eye on Mildred for a over month where she'd resided in my gumtree "favourites" manky, and in need of some TLC.
Often people don't remove their ads from gumtree after their listing is sold so I was somewhat surprised she was still up for grabs after I enquired.... is it still for sale?

As you can see from the pictures and minimal wording in the ad, there were issues... "front brake and gears need attention" obviously, there was another matter of it being filthy and sporting a smatter of mismatched components. Despite this, I could see potential in the bike. An almost complete XT groupset, Rock Shox Sektor RL forks with bar-mounted lockout, Fox RP23 rear shock, FLN stem, and Ragley Bars.

Viewing was arranged ... a short test ride revealed the front brake was binding and the gears had a mind of their own. A deal was struck taking these issues and the general state of the bike into account.
Simon the owner, a middle-aged chap, had totally lost interest and basically just wanted rid which went some way to explain why he hadn't even cleaned it before putting it up for sale.

There isn't much online info about the 2008 Teocali, certainly no mention of issues that apparently afflicted the earlier frames but as this was to be my first alloy framed bike I was mindful of potential issues of cracks in the frame, etc. I needn't have worried as the frame is fine ... if it turned out to be "goosed" (see what I did there?) I could have recouped what I paid splitting it for parts.

All images are taken from the ad...

ZZLOB3o.jpg

AoFtl1P.jpg

wdUQ0Xf.jpg

SET0qhU.jpg

oQor5d0.jpg

Last edited:
With Mildred back at headquarters, assessment could continue. It was obvious beneath the grime, Mildred had lead quite an easy life ... The lifestyle she had been acustomed too, she'll continue to receive in my hands. Yes, there was the odd bump and graze but no serious battle scars. The first priority was to sort the binding front brake which turned out to be nothing more serious than a badly fitted pad retaining clip ... As usual, the guys on Retro bike offered up a solution... a quick fix and we have a front brake...but the gears are still dodgy... time for a 1x10 maybe?

Back at headquarters ...

DnAOWAj.jpg

JW8WRXk.jpg

rCpbU4x.jpg

KijuhOU.jpg

UJOpbMD.jpg

zUSgaAg.jpg

RnKSpU3.jpg

SNAAD8f.jpg

s8Yxgfg.jpg

SYPBci0.jpg

q3F5ckd.jpg

QDj6b3n.jpg

QUzmzlw.jpg

FXJTqY4.jpg

CL8qMNC.jpg

cp5eVhX.jpg

7EzfApz.jpg

OxzKv7h.jpg

uiJvIcK.jpg

Last edited:
This intrigues me.
First, I haven't seen a high end Mongoose out in the wilds in this country in some time, unless it was under Chris Akrigg, so it's a bit of a rare beasty.
Second it has some interesting modifications, but looks pretty tidy considering.

Reactions: enc
This intrigues me.
First, I haven't seen a high end Mongoose out in the wilds in this country in some time, unless it was under Chris Akrigg, so it's a bit of a rare beasty.
Second it has some interesting modifications, but looks pretty tidy considering.
I found reference to a couple of modded ones in the US But don’t think many were sold over here.
only review/article I found was this… …https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/mongoose-teocali-super-review/

apparently, the earlier version was known to split on the seat tube.
Rides lovely, rear fox dhock is super smoooth! Despite it being a medium it feels huge compared to my Konas.

Last edited:
Plan of action ...clean, clean, clean!

Remove the bottom bracket.
Replace the seat, which is comfortable but far from aesthetically pleasing
Sort gears
Source left-handed xt rear brake lever
Touch up paintwork
Service hubs
Replace pedals?
New chain

Removed the crank to clean... took about 5 minutes to remove from bike ...hollwtech design is Ace :cool:

gmeCyBQ.jpg

sooo simple ...

iP1vfj8.jpg

aaHjK1B.jpg

KvQgrlJ.jpg

cleaned up easily enough ...

gzuVGTp.jpg

I have somewhat of a hate hate relationship with shimano external bearing bbs. Engineered with just enough tolerence to render the cup and bearing unservicble. Sram mill out a bit more so you can push a dead bearing out and replace rather than scrap the entire thing. As luck wpuld have it, ypu can fit a Sram bb with a shim but for now,i wouldn't worry about it.

Still a good design that beata needing a puller.

so after stripping and trying to set up the gears, they still wouldnt play ball. I had a cunning plan... a one-by-nine conversion.
just prior to removing the front mech and replacing the chain set and seat...

4suFljm.jpg

New cranks and pedals ... weigh about the same as the three ring XT cranks/chain rings. The new pedals are lighter than the pedals which came on the bike... sealed bearings too. feel good under foot... and add a bit of colour (and match the handlebars kind of)

ox9BYM0.jpg

M0Z6eVc.jpg

5vkqX0X.jpg

All done ...

4tnHvYe.jpg

I do have a real soft spot for a good Mongoose (I blame Chris Akrigg). they might not be the best bike in the world, they may not be seen with the same awe as some of the bigger market leaders, but they are always there in the background and cover a huge range of bikes from bottom end to kids first bike to mid range to highish range at a sensible price bracket all the way through. Them and Diamond Back (and to an extent GT) always feel like the underdogs to me and I like that.

as to Mildred, looks stunning, really like it and the 1x set up looks made for it (I'd have been tempted to do it with the XT cranks).

Cheers fella. I’m really pleased with how this has turned out. The Ride is bloody lovely too 😁

So last time I took Mildred out the rear shock decided to let go of its air. I limped back to base and left her for the winter.
Recently I picked up a shock pump and inflated the fox rp23 it seems to be retaining air. Ive not had a chance to ride yet but ill take the pump out with me next time... just in case. I've also replaced the lower fox mounting bush and securing bolt this appears to have cured the small amount of play from that area.
Also, you might notice the replacement wheels, tyres, and saddle bag.

01.jpg

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 04.jpg