Mercian - King of Mercia - Touring Geometry 653 - update Page: 6

Without taking this thread over any more, Planet X currently have a load of money off most of the Panaracer/Rivendell tyres they do, I use these on quite a few bikes now and just bought another pair of 650B for something else for £9.99 each.

Yeah they have the Jackie Browns that I have on this one for £14.99 but only in the 25.5mm, if you click on the 30mm they go back up to £19.99 which is what they are most of the time.
The 650b I will look at though as I am looking to convert my other King of Mercia to 650b over the winter.

Jamie

Thanks for the link. That is a really good price for those, might have to get a pair to try out. I have heard good things about them, what is your thoughts on them?

Jamie

I've not fitted them yet and only found them after ordering a pair of gumwall Swalbe Deltas wired 28mm. Just received the Zaffiro's and look pretty good so ordered up another four pairs to keep me rolling. Not seen these with the gumwall anywhere else.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3370860424

Attachments

• rps20201104_001717.jpg
    rps20201104_001717.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 730
  • rps20201104_001744_291.jpg
    rps20201104_001744_291.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 730
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
How do people find the Jack Brown's, compared to say Gatorskin 4 seasons, looking for commuter tyres since not sure the Challenge will last well for that? I'd be interested to know how they compare to say something like the Rene Herse tyres which are known for being super supple, but also lasting well enough?

I have the 30c Jack Brown Blues on my Thorn.
1000km in and I have found them very comfortable. They are wearing well generally, the tread looks in great condition.

However I got a bad (12-15mm) flint slice on the rear sidewall a month or so ago. I've repaired it and it hasn't worsened but I intend to replace the whole tyre soon. Be wary if you ride a lot of flinty lanes! The sidewalls also stain with road grime if you are riding in the wet a lot.

lovely frames and most definitely worth all the time and trouble you take over them. Could you include some more photos of your bikes in the setting of
the countryside/sea? I've visited Thurso but sadly have never cycled there.
you might inspire me to take my Bob Jackson tourer into the wilds of Caithness.

Hi greytyke
This one is still getting built up but hopefully after being away last weekend I should get it sorted in the next few weeks.
All my other rides, my Jack Taylor, other Mercian etc are all ridden quite often around this area, more so this year with the restrictions in travel. lots of riding up here for modern, old, road, mtb etc so if your back this way give me a shout and we'll go for a ride, for sure.
Where abouts are you based?
There is a lot of different local rides on various bikes I have posted on the blog over the last few years. Lots of photos and can be found here: https://theroadlesspedalled.blogspot.com/

Theres also a few recent ones on the Jack Taylor readers rides page here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=362850&start=90

Jamie

Back