Mavic Dakar/mavic wheelset - very low mileage -SOLD

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Mavic Dakar Goa hubs on matching 32 h 231 CD rims DT DB Alpine
135 rear hub; spin-on block...that's included.
Labels on rims match those on hubs. All labels intact and unpeeled.
Superb condition, low mileage,. Absolutely true running. No dings or flats. No damage to spokes from derailed chain - I always adjust mech travel grubs when I get a new wheel set.
Anodising intact on both on brake surfaces apart from small segment on radius of front see photos...very few miles

These were hand built by Bill Rayment (Lewes Cycles) in 1991 - I made the mistake of trying a complete Mavic groupset on a Klein. Awful. The alloy on the chainset was cheese, and crept up the tapers everytime you removed the cranks, the front changer was awful, and the underbar friction shifters laughable. The eyeleted rims and hubs however, represent something which Mavic actually know about, and are wonderful things.

I've had a search re price and they vary a lot, but this seems about right...170 gbp plus p&p

Dibs via PM etc etc

Attachments

• EAE54378-1F2E-41F0-95A7-D4B0D7591012.jpeg
    EAE54378-1F2E-41F0-95A7-D4B0D7591012.jpeg
    557.1 KB · Views: 1,472
  • BFF4D238-AB3E-4382-A511-3AC369A694D8.jpeg
    BFF4D238-AB3E-4382-A511-3AC369A694D8.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 1,472
  • 217CEE10-24FB-4EFE-9269-1EB911992DA4.jpeg
    217CEE10-24FB-4EFE-9269-1EB911992DA4.jpeg
    552.2 KB · Views: 1,472
Re: Mavic Dakar/mavic wheelset - very low mileage

Highly unlikely you'd split but if you do, I might take the rear please :)

Re:

Thanks Tomas - yes, I am anxious to keep this together since it's a nice wheelset with great provenance - i.e. I had it built nearly 30 years ago and it's barely used. I have quite a few 'singletons' (none of them Mavic I am afraid) which are all lovely wheels, but no one wants unmatched wheels these days. I just never care about matching wheels since all our bikes are built for performance - and that means unmatched hubs and rims on many occasions. And that's been going on for many many years (I am just building some 29er wheels with unmatched hubs) and it means that the workshop is crammed with 'singleton' wheels. At some point I am going to bite the bullet on a load of fronts and rears and just put on here for Not Very Much - I have various Hope on 231s and Mavic Sunset rims, a rare rear FIR rim, etc etc. This might spur me to do a list (grief there's so many wheels lurking around the place....) and put it up. Nice to feel things are being used rather than just hanging around.

Re: Re:

2manyoranges":63114gwq said:
Thanks Tomas - yes, I am anxious to keep this together since it's a nice wheelset with great provenance - i.e. I had it built nearly 30 years ago and it's barely used. I have quite a few 'singletons' (none of them Mavic I am afraid) which are all lovely wheels, but no one wants unmatched wheels these days. I just never care about matching wheels since all our bikes are built for performance - and that means unmatched hubs and rims on many occasions. And that's been going on for many many years (I am just building some 29er wheels with unmatched hubs) and it means that the workshop is crammed with 'singleton' wheels. At some point I am going to bite the bullet on a load of fronts and rears and just put on here for Not Very Much - I have various Hope on 231s and Mavic Sunset rims, a rare rear FIR rim, etc etc. This might spur me to do a list (grief there's so many wheels lurking around the place....) and put it up. Nice to feel things are being used rather than just hanging around.

I'm trying to pair up all my Singletons and rebuild during lockdown, looking for a grey FIR Impes Rim, Grey Mavic X517 rim and a single Sunset rim also off top of my head - could we match a few pairs up do you think - I also have a few hubs i'm looking for - black Hope front, XTR M950 front and and XT M737 front if any of these are lurking about?

Re:

hmmmm will have a poke around. Most of my singletons are Hope or Ritchey. But I will have a look. The front Sunset Mavic I have is on Hope lightweight ti silver, I do remember that...

Re: Mavic Dakar/mavic wheelset - very low mileage

Even though they didn't performed that well, do you still have the other Mavic components?

Re:

Had a couple of people interested but gone quiet - note that the dark stuff on the spokes is just prehistoric grease which I need to have a go at - the spokes are DT stainless, and for some reason the photos just pick up any slight grme and really highlight it - sigh.

These are absolutely true, very low milage and pretty rare these days. Very little wear on the brake surfaces. Were originally on a Klein build in the '90s. Got fed up with the climbing characteristics of the Klein, so the frame went off on its way and these went onto the hooks in the workshop. Where they have pretty much stayed since then, with just a brief spell on the Amp frame which I have just sold.

Re:

...just saying 'these still here' - price remains the same despite the mad increase we are seeing in complete bikes....driven by general bike frenzy outside the RB community...

Latest posts

Back