Mavic Crossmax first series (96?) service and pads??

prezza

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Just purchased a set on here and would benefit from bearing service.
Has anyone any idea or link to instruction on disassembly? Don’t wanna fiddle before asking in case I mark anything as they’re pretty mint.

Are these sealed bearings?

Also, with rims being ceramic am I ok to run normal v brake pads on them?

Cheers in advance all....

Andy

Re: Mavic Crossmax first series (96?)

I can’t help with the documents, but you’ll be able to find something on the net if needed, however, they are easy enough to strip from memory (I had a few pairs back in the day).

Yup, the bearings are sealed.

You’ll be fine running standard pads on the ceramic, most of us did back then anyway.

Check the eyelets closely though before getting too deep in to them, the rim had a tendency to crack around them, even after a year of use!

Re:

Great advice!

Just checked the rims and yes... the rear one has a cracked rim at one of the spokes.

Received them late yesterday so just had chance to open them up.

Will give the seller on here a shout to see if we can work something out as I guess this is toast now and I paid good money for the set.

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• C53129D7-033B-4C44-9910-6174E8F0F7EF.jpeg
    C53129D7-033B-4C44-9910-6174E8F0F7EF.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 305
  • 05528160-FB58-4ABD-9CD2-31B4C7F3DFCD.jpeg
    05528160-FB58-4ABD-9CD2-31B4C7F3DFCD.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 304
thats the weak spots on all 1st gen. Crossmax - cool looking, lightweight - but fragile. Rear rims are more prone to crack then front ones. Replacement rims are rare as hens teeth. Sometimes these had been replaced by standard Mavic 217/517 rims, with or without ceramic coatings.

Sorry to hear you paid good money for it and expected to get a crackfree set.

Re:

Yup! Me too...

I’m trying to negotiate with the seller at mo.... I’ll let you know how it goes....

Sadly the seller disputes my account as I haven’t got a photo of the box before I opened it and claims he new nothing of the damage. Impossible for a wheel to be damaged in such a way when the box arrives completely damage free.
A sorry state of affairs if we must photograph our post before opening as people on here are so untrusting when we send them funds in good faith.

I’ll list these wheels correctly and try and attempt to recoup some of the money I’ve lost. I won’t name the seller as I don’t want to get into a slagging match but I feel sorry for individuals who operate like this on this forum.

First time this had happened to me.

Only other option I guess would be to but two different rims and have a go at wheel building or look for another rear wheel....

Depending on how you paid you are covered for goods not being as described, you do not need to provide any photo proof of condition of box. You can get your money refunded and it is up to the sender to claim any damages losses from the carrier, not you!

Re:

After I sent the seller a pic as requested of the box broken up ready for my recycling collection this morning outside by property he zoomed in and tried to claim a mark on the box would have caused the damage! Even though I said it was my size 10’s as box was categorically intact and damage is clearly old he wouldn’t have it. I don’t have a leg to stand on and he knows it and wouldnt allow me to return it.

Legally I’m stuffed as used PayPal gift. Everyone else I’ve ever traded with on here is outstanding and has been wherever in the world I’ve purchased bits from. I’ll just put it down to experience and try and sort a replacement rim or wheel to get my build back on track.

I won’t name the person but just unethical for my own personal standards of trading on here as my feedback shows....
:(

Hopefully a solution will come along here soon. Thanks guys.

Back