Marzocchi Bomber Z1 BAM - a little help needed, please

Dr-Zocchi

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi Biker,

I have a Marzocchi Z1 BAM here, I think it is the one with 130mm travel.

Unfortunately the left cartridge is broken in the top, I think someone rotates the knob with too much power :( :( :shock:
So I'm looking for replacements : a cartridge, a spare fork etc.
Cartridge length overall is about 46cm.

Have a look at the pictures, I'm wondering about the red part of the cartridge (marked with '??'). Is there a thread behind or is this a pressed location?

I also would like to see into a catridge, may be someone has an opened one or a defect one for me or a drawing??

Thanks for all tipps!

Attachments

• Z1 BAM Overview 1000px.jpg
    Z1 BAM Overview 1000px.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 530
  • Z1 BAM Cartridges 1000px marked.jpg
    Z1 BAM Cartridges 1000px marked.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 535
  • Z1 BAM left cartridge defect 1000px marked 2.jpg
    Z1 BAM left cartridge defect 1000px marked 2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 529
  • Z1 BAM Overview 2 + length Cartridge.jpg
    Z1 BAM Overview 2 + length Cartridge.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 529
Re: Almost solved ...

Look at the picture with the red eloxal nut - I was wondering about.

During inspecting I came to the conclusion that this muss be a nut, that this parts are not pressed and that this is a lock nut to fix the top unit screw.

But it was enormously tighten! I was sure, that it has been clued, so I heated it carefully. Also it is very difficult to fix this parts to sue some force on it.
So I used a bigger fixed vice with aluminium blocks and a little mobile vice to clamp and rotate the main tube against the head unit. Carefully moving it left, right, left, right and heating I was able to unscrew the red nut first a few threads, than I was able also to unscrew the head unit from the tube.

For the files: cartridge full lenghts:
Z1 100mm - 41cm
Z1 BAM 130mm - 46cm

So my solution for the BAM is to find another head unit. Lucky my I have another Z1 with 100mm travel byside. There are little differences:

- the Bam top screw is somehow optimized and does not have the height of the 'standard' Z1
- the little unit with the o-ring on top is height - please compare the units on the picture, you will see.

So my solutions are:
1. take the both parts from the Z1 and mount it on the Z1 BAM
2. find another Z1 (or Z1 BAM) with intact top units and exchange them.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So if some of you gurus can help out with this units or a used Z1, please drop me note! THANKS!

Attachments

• Z1 and Z2 Head Units.jpg
    Z1 and Z2 Head Units.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 497
Back