Marin Titanium FRS 93 - Help wanted (and needed)

stefanolo

Dirt Disciple
Dear Gents,

I am in the happy position owning a 93 Titanium FRS. I was quite stunned seeing the serial number, says V001. Definitely not a typical Marin serial number. I have reached out already to Lightspeed, but they do not have any records sadly (nor Interest).

I was wondering if anyone here can sheet light into that matter, if its "just" a preproduction Asian made frame or the first one done by LS. I could not find anything usefull with google & co, so really would appreciate any hint...

Best Stefan

Attachments

• F70323A6-1C69-49B3-BF2D-583F9FC95066.jpeg
    F70323A6-1C69-49B3-BF2D-583F9FC95066.jpeg
    976.2 KB · Views: 380

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Re:

Hmmmm those are the ‘big number’ LS stamps.

This could be a very special frame. The first FRS ti were made for Jurgen Beneke who rode them to victory in 1993. I would be astonished if this were not one of the first ones which he rode. He recently auctioned one of them but I know that he had several. They anticipated lots of frame breakages in those early DH events. The V in the number is odd since LS use an all-number system on the Marin ti frames. But the number shape is LS.

I would drop an email to Marin. They will be interested and helpful I think.

stefanolo

Dirt Disciple
Re:

Quite a puzzle that is - I had written to Marin without success yet, also to LS. I have stopped the restauration work on the frame until i get more insights, in case its really a special one I don‘t want to be the one devaluing this heritage. Will try writing to them again and contact also Jürgen, maybe there is a reply from him.

But thanks for your comment on the lettering, massive help for me - thanks!

rothaz

Dirt Disciple
Hi Stefanolo,

I am looking for a 93 Ti FRS. Would be interested if you will sell this.

Tootyred

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Dont hold you breath whilst awaiting anything useful from marin. I doubt any of their staff would even recognise the bike or been born when it came out.

I sent pictures and email several years ago to their " expert" who replied....thanks for the info, but thats not one of our bikes......

It was a 1989 team marin!

rothaz

Dirt Disciple
I just found an FRS with this serial number...

Attachments

• ADDAFC59-84D7-429C-B431-9DBCDBB9CA5B.jpeg
    ADDAFC59-84D7-429C-B431-9DBCDBB9CA5B.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 12

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Stephanolo - I came across this fleeting mention of Litespeed/Lynksey’s involvement in the ti FRS:

I am pretty sure that the number punches on your frame are Litespeed pattern.

The history elsewhere also states that the Aluminium FRS was made by Marin ‘under license’ from Doug Bradbury - which opens up the possibility of the ALs being made either by Answer or by Marin’s choice of fabricator. I’ll do some more digging.

SavagePower

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Dear Gents,

I am in the happy position owning a 93 Titanium FRS. I was quite stunned seeing the serial number, says V001. Definitely not a typical Marin serial number. I have reached out already to Lightspeed, but they do not have any records sadly (nor Interest).

I was wondering if anyone here can sheet light into that matter, if its "just" a preproduction Asian made frame or the first one done by LS. I could not find anything usefull with google & co, so really would appreciate any hint...

Best Stefan
Hi Stefan, I think I may have owned that at someone as that serial rings a bell, either that one or similar. Where did you find/buy it from?

SavagePower

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
SavagePower - see you own Manitou FS 1 and 2 - do you know who the fabricators were for those frames?
I've had Manitou FS1,2,3,4, DH with the EFC and also Marin FRS Pine (1993), Team 1993 and 1995 and Ti FRS: 1993: 3 or 4 frames, 1 full bike another 1994 and another 1994 frame, I erm have an addiction to FRS' and Manitou'. Now to answer your question, Doug B licensed Manitou design to Answer, Marin licensed the design from Answer(Marin version less CNC artwork but stronger All and obvious the Ti version.)

I am led to believe (through years of collecting (Marin and Manitou & others) the fabricator were Marin themselves for their FRS bikes. Now exactly who Marin used remains a mystery and I've never been told it was Merlin nor Litespeed who made the Ti FRS' frames. You probably know Litespeed made some of the pre-1995 Team Ti frames and apparently Merlin also made some of them pre-1995 but I don't know what years were Litespeed Vs Merlin on the Team Ti, I 'think' 90/90/91 was Litespeed and Merlin 92/93/94 and then in 1995 they were to the Far East. I have a friend who was Bob B's right hand man so I will ask him if he knows, he had a big impact upon Marin so he may know. I should've asked him by now so it's a good prompt this post and he's a great guy, When I know I'll post here.

Latest posts