Marin seat post size?

spitball

Retro Guru
What size seat post does a 91 Marin Muirwoods take please?, also what would be the correct post for this model?
Thanks in advance

If it's the same as my 1990 Palisades (which I think it is) then it's 26.2 and a vanilla Kalloy type. It's an unusual size, choice is seriously limited.

Thanks for the reply, I have a 94 bear valley which has a 27.2 seat post and that doesn't fit, I assumed someone had buggered up the seat tube, will look for a 26.2, you would have thought they would be the same, the O/D of the seat tube is.

Re:

I have a 1994 Marin Pine Mountain and the post size is 27.0. Could it be that your 1994 Bear Valley is also 27.0? Looking at the catalogue, I think the two bikes have used the same frame that year.

Re: Re:

ljamesb":3jdxbdx9 said:
I have a 1994 Marin Pine Mountain and the post size is 27.0. Could it be that your 1994 Bear Valley is also 27.0? Looking at the catalogue, I think the two bikes have used the same frame that year.

The 27.2 in the Bear Valley fits like it should, I would have thought a 27.2 in a 27 hole would feel like it was forced in and be tight

It could easily be different than my pine mountain. Just thought I'd say in case your post isn't labelled. Mine wasn't which led to me buying the wrong post (27.2) :facepalm:

spitball":33loh3r4 said:
Thanks for the reply, I have a 94 bear valley which has a 27.2 seat post and that doesn't fit, I assumed someone had buggered up the seat tube, will look for a 26.2, you would have thought they would be the same, the O/D of the seat tube is.

Yours is probably a Bear Valley SE, which shared the same frame as the Eldridge and Pine Mtn. The plain jane BV shared the Palisades frame.

My 94 Pine Mtn took a 26.8 from new. This is probably 27.0 nominal but had a bit of ovalizing of the seat tube from weld distortion. It's pretty common to see -0.2mm posts. It seems that rather than go to the cost of reaming out the seat tube they just popped in a smaller post.

I have just got back from a bike shop with a tool for measuring the hole, and it's a 26.8, so I have just ordered one.
Thanks for your help people

ps: AS for the Bear valley I don't think it's an SE, but some bits say it could be and others not, it's probably been robbed of the SE bits years ago.

Back