Marin Rock Springs Fork Options and Hub Rebuild Help

Tricky1977

Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Hi, I don’t post in this section often :)

I have a couple of questions or queries you guys might be able to help with?

1) I have a 2000 Marin Rock Springs and the odd “Shock Works” front fork has locked. You can’t really get spares and it’s quite heavy, so It needs replacement.
I want/need to stick with 26” and vee brakes as I’ve spent money on new bits. I think it’s 120mm travel and orange would fit the colourway. The length needs to be roughly 66cm in total
What fork options do I have? I could just stick on something new and cheap? Maybe even manage something cheap by Rockshox, but 120mm travel and brake bosses seems to be the problem.

The alternative original OE was Manitou SX LT (long travel), which I cant source and most would need rebuilding or look tired for £50-£60.
Any suggestions what I should get and anyone got anything they’ve seen for sale?
Budget is around £50-£100

2) I took apart a gritty Shimano hub (late 90s/early 2000 Deore, EDIT: FH-M510) to regrease, reusing the old bearings, but stupidly forgot to carefully lay the bits out in order. Too many sleeps and some bad guesswork and it’s now incorrectly assembled and the freehub lock ring won’t engage. I’ve looked at pictorial guides but still get lost. Can anyone help with reassembly if I get it all to bits again? Otherwise it’s a lost wheel… :(
Let me get a pic of the model! (Done FH-M510)

FYI, with both I don’t ride much these are more garage queens so I don’t need these bits to last thousands of miles or go down some serious downhill slopes :)

Pic to keep you interested:
CE48EED5-623D-4685-8D78-30D7F05927CD.jpeg

Last edited:
Shimano techdocs have decnet exploded views so there should be no problems with the hub. Cones go in first, then spacers, then the lockrings with serrated sides facing outwards.

Something like this for the front end?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks. I’m going for the ebay ones already… they seem more “complete” in any case.
Think you’re right about the boxxers the bike was £100 before my modest additions

Back