Marin Rift Zone project - it’s not pretty!!

@Freddyman90 unwind the shox. It not healthy having it wound up so much ;-)

Looks nice, and if you need the rear end stiffer it's a different spring time.

Running it wound up puts pressure on the shaft and damages it.

I think they only have say 4 or 5 turns from wound up the can.
The rest of the thread is just to get it there when the spring is changed etc.

I'll see if I can find the manual, I think I had it somewhere.

Edit I could be wrong though as the catalogue has it like that, but pretty sure the manuals said don't do that. 😆

Last edited:
Hi all.

Hope you don't mind me following-up this thread. Happy to start new one if needed.

I've literally just picked up one of these from my cousin "up north" yesterday. It's been unused for years and as he knows I love building bikes, he suggested I take it away and give it a refurb'.

All my bike knowledge is in the early 90s road bikes, especially Campagnolo-based bikes. I have practically no knowledge of "mountain bikes" (in particular specifications and sizes etc.).

Anyhow, this is my next project:

1652685720334.png

It needs a good strip-down, lube and re-assembly, but the headset definitely needs replacement. Is this a 1.1/8 Aheadset type? Been looking for spec's for this version, but can't find much just yet. Any thoughts, recommendations please?

Many thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Welcome to the site, nice bike you have there.
It'll have a 1 & 1/8th headset. Checkout the Archive section as there are several catalogues including specs there.
You might want to start a build thread with lots of pics, (we love pictures here).

Back