Marin Pine Mountain 1992

Teus

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all, great forum I have enjoyed looking through it for a while and really my first post is way overdue.

So, I guess like many people at the moment, I have decided to give a new lease of life to a 1992 Marin Pine Mountain. As a 13 year old I had always lusted over a Marin, something about the colour schemes. I’m from Norfolk and used to love going in Madgetts Cycles in Diss, past all of the secondhand bikes lined up on the way in, climbing the narrow staircase to check out what they had in stock.

At the time I had a secondhand 1988 Hardrock Comp, my first proper mountain bike. A few years later I pick up a secondhand Scott Super Evolution from Madgetts, full XT Mavic 231 anodised rims matching green brake boosters, the works, still to this day regret selling that.

But I’ve always had a soft spot for a Marin. So here we go. Progress to date, way too much time browsing ebay and the for sale boards. So far I have tidied up the Richey Logic headset, wet sanding out the marks left from using pillars not a headset spanner.

The frame is in a bad state, so I plan to strip it right back and repaint. My plan is to try and keep it as original as possible should have a chainset and cantis turning up soon which will need so TLC.

Any advice or words of wisdom or offers or parts you have for sale greatly received, cheers Matt

Attachments

• Pine Mountain 1.jpg
    Pine Mountain 1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 439
  • Pine Mountain 2.jpg
    Pine Mountain 2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 439
  • Pine Mountain 3.jpg
    Pine Mountain 3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 427
  • Pine Mountain 4.jpg
    Pine Mountain 4.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 437
Re:

welcome and nice looking project!

have a soft spot for Marin myself and this should come up nicely!

Re:

Just finished this and have a few bits and lots of experience of mistakes! Don’t hesitate to ask if you come up against anything. I managed to get the correct NOS seat recently (not pictured). Will check if they have another.

Attachments

• 390B565C-29A9-40AE-B55D-9B65898DF2BD.jpeg
    390B565C-29A9-40AE-B55D-9B65898DF2BD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 427
Re: Re:

nporternz":170cf8a7 said:
welcome and nice looking project!

have a soft spot for Marin myself and this should come up nicely!

Cheers looking forward to getting into it.

Rotorhead":3hhg08pd said:
Just finished this and have a few bits and lots of experience of mistakes! Don’t hesitate to ask if you come up against anything. I managed to get the correct NOS seat recently (not pictured). Will check if they have another.
That looks mint, defo some inspiration for my build. Did you repaint yours?

Teus_Harrison":ckpglc8e said:
Rotorhead":ckpglc8e said:
That looks mint, defo some inspiration for my build. Did you repaint yours?
Yeah it was professionally painted except he lost the fork! So I painted that once I found another. It was horrid with rust before I started so painting was essential. Yours looks much better. Anyway, I really should do my own thread so I’ll stop hijacking yours and looking forward to seeing your progress.

Re:

Bit more progress, been a bit cold to start tackling the frame so I have been tidying up some parts that have arrived. First up is the chainset, stripped and cleaned wet sanded and looking much better. I'm not sure whether to polish them up, I quite like the satin look.

Working on the brakes at the moment.

Attachments

• Chainset 1.jpg
    Chainset 1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Chainset 2.jpg
    Chainset 2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 189
Making some good progress, my trusty makita angle grinder and a soft wire cup has stripped the frame back, really happy with the results.

Frame.jpg

Been talking to Gil regarding the decals, I really really want a exact colour match so planning on using this decals as a mask. Problem I have that the Rockstar fork decal, that's going to be tricky as a mask. Whats the general consensus on tweaking the colourway? like the below, I actually think the colours balance out nicely.

option.jpg

Last edited:
Back