Marin Mount Vision Pro build advice

Falkster

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all - I’m just beginning a build to make the bike I really wanted at the time I was just giving up riding. I remember seeing it at my local bike shop and drooling.
I’ve got a frame and forks set pretty much original but they are away to get media blasted and coated, I’ve pretty much got an M950/2 groupset ish but I don’t know what rims to put on it. Bikepedia says X517s which are nice as I’ve got them on my newly finished Cro Mega build but is there a rim out there I should put on it rather than the X517?
Also is there anything I should add to the build to make it better or should I leave as near stock as possible?
I know it’s all down to person preference standard vs updated but there might be learnings people have to offer me.
I’ll get a build thread up when I’m somewhere near.

Cheers
Chris

Start off with what you have then gradually upgrade Is my way of doing bikes that way you enjoy the differences along the way.

Re:

The frame will be fine, and sounds like you are sorted for decent components.

Shocks. Modern air shock for the rear will likely be a step up on the original.
Which forks do you have?

Re: Re:

RickTheUncivil":23twpii3 said:
The frame will be fine, and sounds like you are sorted for decent components.

Shocks. Modern air shock for the rear will likely be a step up on the original.
Which forks do you have?

I’ve got the original Manitou SX ti - I know there are mixed reviews but unsure what to swap them for, maybe a period SID?

Re:

Manitou fork is not too bad but basic by modern standards. If you want to keep in period and if they work properly then there's probably little benefit in changing them. Sids are nice though....

Re: Re:

RickTheUncivil":e5fyb7cq said:
Manitou fork is not too bad but basic by modern standards. If you want to keep in period and if they work properly then there's probably little benefit in changing them. Sids are nice though....

I thought that - I think as close to period as possible on this one as my last one was far from period.
I’m struggling to get the red matching flight saddle and the black Marin handlebars. I’m also going to fit my M9020 single speed chainset which I think will suit it but everything else is period XTR. Trying to find a decent rear mech is a ball ache - fleabay £60 for a scuffed one is criminal.

I sold a 951 mech on ebay in march. I got £35 quid for it
and it was in pretty good condidtion, so they are out there.
I think I still have the brakes, shifters and cranks off it.

Back