Marin Headset Help

OnaMishun

Retro Newbie
Hi - I have a quick question about my bike, which is a ‘93 Marin Eldridge Grade. The Ritchey Logic headset has worn out and the bike has developed vague steering issues. Do I need to replace like-for-like with another Logic headset, or will any of the threaded 1 1/8 headsets at SJS do the job?

Thanks!

Don't know if it's any good to you but I removed a Ritchey logic headset from a '94 Indian Fire Trail.The top nut is damaged but useable,looks like someone hammered the stem onto it,dented it on the top and squished the top seal slightly.Otherwise is in great condition.Very slight pitting to the crown race but still smooth enough.Fully cleaned with new lower bearings.You could just use your old top nut if it's still good?
IMG_2216.JPG IMG_2217.JPG

Hi, wow that would be great, how much do you want for it? Can I ask, did you replace it with another headset or did you get rid of the frame?

cheers!

Fantastic! £5 posted.It's actually in really good shape aside from the damage.The ball bearings are useable but a few spots on them from water ingress,for the sake of a bag of bb's I'd stick new ones in and you'll be good for years.
Will be replacing it with a NOS one.And I will be getting rid of the frame as it happens.But only as part of a fully restored bike I'm afraid.It's a cost off-setting exercise.Have 2 to keep,this one is 'leftovers'.Bought for the forks🙄.
Are you looking to build one?

just a thing to note - after knowing that you have threaded headset and not Aheadset steerer, and a 1inch or 1 and eight or 1 and quarter - 1 1/8 in your case, you do need to pay attention to the STACK HEIGHT. This is much less important on Aheadset set ups, but on threaded it's a very important dimension. That's why 'any headset from SJS' isn't quite right. But since you have been fortunate to track down a Logic replacement, you'll be fine. If the stack height is too great, then the top nut won't engage with the thread. If too low, then you'll need a lot of spacers or the top nut won't cinch down properly.

just a thing to note - after knowing that you have threaded headset and not Aheadset steerer, and a 1inch or 1 and eight or 1 and quarter - 1 1/8 in your case, you do need to pay attention to the STACK HEIGHT. This is much less important on Aheadset set ups, but on threaded it's a very important dimension. That's why 'any headset from SJS' isn't quite right. But since you have been fortunate to track down a Logic replacement, you'll be fine. If the stack height is too great, then the top nut won't engage with the thread. If too low, then you'll need a lot of spacers or the top nut won't cinch down properly.
Fantastic! £5 posted.It's actually in really good shape aside from the damage.The ball bearings are useable but a few spots on them from water ingress,for the sake of a bag of bb's I'd stick new ones in and you'll be good for years.
Will be replacing it with a NOS one.And I will be getting rid of the frame as it happens.But only as part of a fully restored bike I'm afraid.It's a cost off-setting exercise.Have 2 to keep,this one is 'leftovers'.Bought for the forks🙄.
Are you looking to build one?
Great, thank you! I’ll take it...if you let me know a way to pay you i’ll give you my address. Many thanks! Good luck with your projects, i’m not looking for any more at mo, need to get riding more lol! 👍😉

2manyoranges - thanks for the info, I thought something like that my be the case which is why I’ve hesitated.

I found a spec for a modern production Ritchey L threaded 1 1/8 but not sure it listed stack height. I also tried to find a manual pdf but no luck.

Back