Marin experts - are the DH FRS, B17, Wolf Ridge the same?

Benandemu

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
See here...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=348117&hilit=Marin

B-17, Wildcat Trail, and DH FRS are the same.
There were three main variants for ease...
165mm Shock
190mm Shock (maybe even 185mm I’m getting old)
200mm Shock

Front ends are not compatible between models, but the rear swing arms are fully interchangeable. The B-17 has a longer rear end, and was therefore the more stable platform.

I've had so much time in the saddle with these bikes, and have researched and tested first hand what does and doesn't work for them. Some pointers and advice worth summing up and giving out...

What was once classed as a downhill travel bike is now really modern xc, so ride it as such! I used mine as a fast xc/trail bike.

Get the best front shocks you can, and stick within the 120mm Rockshox (SID or Reba), 130mm DT/Pace (XMC130 or RC41), or up to 140mm for Fox as they've usually a shorter axle to crown race length.

A quality air rear shock will transform the rear. I've run DT (firmer and less reactive on gravel and light bumps) and Rockshox (the Monarch has been fantastic) on all mine, but I know many others have had equal success with Fox. One trick that my cousin has done was to run the 200/57 rear shock on his as 200/50. This really stiffens up the rear end stroke and prevents some of the wallowing that the longer stroke shock can be prone to. It effectively looses an inch of travel at the rear, but can be more balanced for it.

Don't faff about with old disc brakes - use modern Shimano Deore or better.

Go tubeless tyres, and run 2.35/2.4 tyres at 20 to 27psi dependent on your weight and conditions.

Fix the cockpit - use 680mm bars or wider, and team it up with a 70mm Max stem. The steering becomes so much more direct, but too short on the stem and you'll start to off-balance your neutral centre of gravity.

These are what I'd call the 'must do's'. Things like gearing and pedals are up to you and won't make much difference for how the bike feels. I chose simpler gearing systems each time I would build one. The last one would have been 1x12 using Sunrace shifter, Sunrace 11/50 cassette, XT 11 speed rear mech. 11/12 speed Shimano works on the same actuation rate so they're compatible, but Shimano won't tell you that directly. I'd use a 30 or 32 ring up front, and that'll get you up and over everything.

Re:

So I’ve just picked up my first Marin (97 MVP) which it seems has an original rear end (the one that cracks) I was hoping to use my hope torque arm disc mount but the dropout design means the torque arm is too short. Anyway it’s got me looking at similar frames but I’m struggling to work out rear wheel travel? So my MVP is 4” travel but what about the b17 and wildcat trail (there’s a wildcat on eBay at the moment) sorry for the waffling and thread hijack but I think the travel question could be relevant to the op.

Thanks

Tim

In short, the Mount Vision has 100mm/4 inches travel, and the B-17 has 140mm/5.5 inches.
The placement of the shock in the swing arm is at the same point in relation to the seatpost on each frame.
The shock size is accommodated by welding the shock mount closer or further away from this on the top tube of the frame. This then means that any rear end can be used with any frame, but you’ll always have to comply with the original shock size as this is specific to the frame.
The B-17 variant used a longer rear end to give a more stable platform when descending (remember this was dubbed as a DH bike). I seem to recall that they were about 45mm longer.
The longer rear swing arm is able to be fitted to the shorter travel frames, but I’m not sure what that would ride like etc.
Once Marin went into 2001, their models started to feature quad link, and these aren’t compatible with the single pivot frames at all.

Re:

Thanks for all the info, do you happen to know how the wildcat fits into this (there’s a 99 on eBay) is it more like the MVP or the b17? Or different again.

Thanks

Tim

Re: Re:

Timoth27":2u1n5n2r said:
Thanks for all the info, do you happen to know how the wildcat fits into this (there’s a 99 on eBay) is it more like the MVP or the b17? Or different again.

Thanks

Tim

It's the same as a B-17 and a DH-FRS.

Eventually I will offer my frame and forks for sale as per the bike in the link above.

Re:

Out of curiosity you could not tell me the seat post size on the DH FRS
there seems to be a few different sizes threw models and years.
cheers

Re:

Mine prob won’t arrive for about a week but if no one else has answered I’ll let you know what mine as when it arrives. I know that my MVP is 30mm.

Pre 2000 is 30mm. After that it went to 27.0mm for one year. Narrower and lighter tubes on that model.
Although the weight is negated when you consider that there aren’t any light 27.0mm seat posts! Which is why I always chose the 30mm and shimmed it down to 27.2mm when building a lightweight.

Back