Marin Alpine Trail how could I upgrade it?

Rectro30

Retro Newbie
Hi

I got a 1999 Marin Alpine Trail, polished T6061 frame. Its the same one as this Here. I got mine quite cheap at £80 an wonder what I could look out for that would make a nice little upgrade for its break system or general groupset. My aim is to get it as light as I can without breaking the bank and spending on it more than is worth it.

So if you where to upgrade this bike and where happy with either rectro or new components but maybe second hand what would you do to this bike? Im not sure how compatible this older bike is with modern components?

Thanks,
Dan

It's not easy to lighten up these marins as this period saw manufacturers get a lot right. Avid brakes, compact chainset...
Even low end alivio, Accera etc...wasnt the brick heavy stuff of earlier years.
For me, I would see what bottom bracket is in there and perhaps swap the expected UN 5....something for a un71/72.
Bars, I'd go flat (just me) as there is less material involved.
Saddle. A modern madison, selle italia etc maybe.
Tyres, plenty to choose from if you go semi slick.
All in, you may drop half a kilo. Go from there but don't go crazy swapping every bolt to titanium as the spring shock and forks will keep the weight 'healthy'.

Swapping the coil shock for air would save some weight, decent v brakes, Tyres are often overlooked as a good place to save weight, as are bbs (as mentioned akready) and cassette.

Swapping the coil shock for air would save some weight, decent v brakes, Tyres are often overlooked as a good place to save weight, as are bbs (as mentioned akready) and cassette.
What air shock would fit this bike?

Thanks,
Dan

Depending on how many hills in your area, you may decide to try 1x. Replace the middle ring with a narrow wide one (and remove all of the existing rings as well as front mech and shifter). That would also likely allow you to shorten the chain.

Depending on how many hills in your area, you may decide to try 1x. Replace the middle ring with a narrow wide one (and remove all of the existing rings as well as front mech and shifter). That would also likely allow you to shorten the chain.
There are alot of hills here but I tend to spend 90% of my time on the middle chain ring. I don't think my chain rings are removable, think they are one piece with the crank set, could be wrong. If I did this I would have to replace the Cassete for a 12 speed or something, mine is 9 speed. I would then have to replace the gear shifter and guess rear mech? Is there anything about these rectro bikes that cant accommodate these upgrades?

Thanks,
Dan

You can run any system as a 1x, Dan. The main thing to consider is how to keep the chain on if riding over very rough ground. A narrow-wide chainring might help, as might a specific chain device of some kind. You can keep the existing cassette if it gives the range you need.

Back