Many mishaps?

peetee

Senior Retro Guru
Who's ridden the longest with the fewest mechanical calamities?
I will start:
Since 1987 with two bikes although for the last 10 years, next to no milage - shall we say 23 years in total.
2 broken axles, 1 snapped seatpin bolt, 1 flat tyre.
So 0.174 incidents per year.
Thing is, if I hadn't started on a 6 speed bike with freewheel-fit hubs that incident rate would be half.

Have been riding since about 1970, countless punctures, bent a pair of vector forks back in '97 on a bmx track, and in the last 2yrs have broken a spoke and snapped a chain.

:?: I've left an almost unbroken chain of mechanical mayhem behind me in my riding life. My 1997 Marin Rift Zone alone had 3 frames, 3 forks, 3 swinging arms and 3 shocks in it's first 6 years. After 18 years the handlebar stem was, however, original.

Duxuk":3equzug5 said:
:?: I've left an almost unbroken chain of mechanical mayhem behind me in my riding life. My 1997 Marin Rift Zone alone had 3 frames, 3 forks, 3 swinging arms and 3 shocks in it's first 6 years. After 18 years the handlebar stem was, however, original.
That's like Triggers Brush... :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

Mechanicals not so much but...

Slipped and fell climbing over a stile Castleton side of Mamtor in about '91 carrying my bike on the wrong side, and as I landed the teeth of the outer and middle chainrings went through my elbow. It was one of those moments where you think 'I know I shouldn't do it this way but just this once...'

By the time I got back to the car park opposite Speedwell Cavern my arm looked like a prop from a slasher movie. People in the car park were quite freaked out by the amount of blood.

Easter Monday '92 ish, rode into a barbed wire fence throat first - that was fun.

Broken myself more often than the bike. Never had a mechanical failure through riding that I can remember apart from a couple of spokes, so i guess I'm quite lucky.

Punctures-jeez, loads. At least one a month for the last 10 years

Back