Magura HS 33 question

syncrosfan

Senior Retro Guru
I am currently faffing about with a Magura HS-33. Swapped out the levers for TWP aftermarket ones. Bled the brake. So far everything works fine. I never had a set of those brakes, hence my question: The quick release feature on them seems... well .... overly complicated (compared to canti or V-brake brake quick release to swap out a wheel). Does anybody here on the forum recommend bothering with it? It seems like most people prefer to just let out the air from the tire rather than deal with the finicky QR feature. The original brake boosters were somewhat bent (I assume from improper installation and QR removal attempts) no biggie since I have a set of Ultimate machine alloy ones to replace. I am trying to find out if it's worth dealing with the QR feature or should I just bolt down the brakes and let the air out of the tires when dealing with a wheel change?

I've not found it a problem. It is a bit clumsy having half the brake hanging off the bike while you change the wheel, and depending on your paintwork then you have to be very careful not to bash it with the loose brake, but I've found actually releasing them and tightening again is very simple and reliable.

I see. Thanks! Also the paint on some of the parts and adapters is a little tatty. Has anyone sanded down and polished the adapter pieces and slave cylinders? Would they turn out ok (them being cast and not machined)?

polishing might be difficult, especially by hand. I sanded mine and painted them matt black, they came out decent enough (but dusty in this pic but you get the idea)

Attachments

• 2019-04-07 12.54.35.jpg
    2019-04-07 12.54.35.jpg
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 168
I thought that too. Painting could be the way forward. I'm afraid that the raw polished cast aluminum parts might corrode easily and end up looking crappy and anodizing is just too much work.

syncrosfan":3nyam6w3 said:
I thought that too. Painting could be the way forward. I'm afraid that the raw polished cast aluminum parts might corrode easily and end up looking crappy and anodizing is just too much work.

You would not be able to anodize them or powder coat them. The actual piston, spring and seals are permanently fitted into the main body. They would be destroyed by the anodizing or powder coating process.
Careful stripping and spray painting is the only way.

Re:

Yeah the "Quick Release" can be a bit fiddly, back in the day I never bothered with them, the only time I needed to take the wheels out was to fix a puncture, and the tyre was already deflated by then!
These days you might need to remove the front wheel to put the bike in a car etc, so I do use a front QR, but I cut the 2nd hole on the booster plate off, it just makes it easier to get the tyre past the booster, anything wider than 1.95 seems to catch on the booster. It's a pain in the butt! :LOL:

If you want to refurb your brakes then there's a good thread to read here... http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=385879

Funnily enough I’ve just fitted a set (a good 15 years after I last fiddled about with them!). I’ve kept the QR on the front brake as I’m more likely to have to take the front wheel off to get the bike in the car, but after a bit of trial and error I didn’t bother with he rear. TBH if I’m riding I always have allen keys to hand, so it’s a quick job to just undo one of the lugs If needed *shrug*

I don't know why you wouldn't?

If you know how, they're easy to set up, super easy to use, and never need touching ever again?

Back