MacRetro June 25th Ride, Velo's Trails

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
After my wee Kinnoull Hill bump I thought I might fancy a less techy, more old school mtb run for June. The 25th June does mess with anything in my calendar and I have a nice out and back 90% off road route between Gorebridge and Temple Village in mind. Passing along Riverside paths in a steep sided valley through country parks and private estates with various alternate sections to try and tougher options for the mad yins.

I have not had a chance to recky this ride due to romantic liaisons with my new lady friend so its going to be a make it up as I go along job. However you are in good hands, I know my way around and there are some nice wee bits of trail begging to be sessioned by us auld retro bikers.

Do remember low gears as there are some steep bits and few completely flat bits, Midlothian if not mountainous is very undulating. However there will be little that is anywhere near as techy as Kinnoull Hill unless you want me to find some. Believe me there are bits that would make me wee myself if you want them 😁

Last edited:
Sorry Velo, father in law is up on holiday that week. Don’t think I’ll be at any group rides for a while. Sharron doing the Kilt Walk in August and bumping up her training at weekends. September’s my race month, so busy summer ahead.

I should be free then. Jack might be free too. Both happy to get out and get some more saddle time. We both need it!

What sort of surfaces can we expect? Would a gravel bike cope or would something with bounce be better?

You would be fine on I anything capable of off road terrain. Gravel, CX, Hybrid, Mtb even vintage roadster. The route will be as tough as you choose it to be and getting off to push or carry might happen. Surface is compacted earth mainly with mud in places, tree roots occasionally. Basically we will ride walkers paths alongside rivers in steep sided valleys. Good brakes and plenty of gears advised but suspension is not essential.
Would advise bringing something to eat and drink as shops/pubs only exist at the start/end point.

Day after we come back from nethy so I’m a mibbee, will depend if shona wants me oot the way after 14 days on hols lol.

Latest posts

Back